Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT Closed thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't see one so with the publication of the review at Audio Science Review I'll start this. Positive review, says RT follows target frequency response for good sound.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/

I will start one. I have owned these for about two months and I think they are the best value in audio. The bass is fantastic but not overpowering (well ...) or muddy. The treble is not missing and there are 4 filters that will attenuate for a warming ,even dark sound.

I think sound isolation is excellent in my closed pair, and soundstage and sense of space is quite wide for a closed headphone. The pads are large and comfy and space the speakers out a bit from the ears. Detail is quite good too.

The highlight of these is their rock and roll dynamics. These are not KEF crystalline needling sound, but a full, colorful, up front sound that I really enjoy.

There are a number of excellent headphones in this price range and I think the DCA Aeon RT would be as good as any of them for overall enjoyment.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 89
My pair just arrived today. I'm really enjoying this headphone. I got in on the deal for these at $450 and IMO this is an excellent value. This is a very nice headphone with sound quality to match.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 89
Hey, happy owner here too.
I just got them and looking for portable amp to pair

Fiio Q5S or Hip Dac? What do you guys suggest.

my dragonfly cobalt cant provide enough volume and after %50 there’s horrible clipping

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 89
Guys, i decided to not to mess with stuff and get what works. I got Chord Mojo. Plugged in my Aeons and....

I’ve owned lots of gear in my life, ranging from lcd-x to 800s. This is by far the best music experience of my life.

Dan just made a lifetime customer. My next purchase will be open Aeon 2s.

93-D43-A41-7-A0-D-43-C5-88-DC-BA05-E409-A2-E1.jpg

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 89
Guys, i decided to not to mess with stuff and get what works. I got Chord Mojo. Plugged in my Aeons and....

I’ve owned lots of gear in my life, ranging from lcd-x to 800s. This is by far the best music experience of my life.

Dan just made a lifetime customer. My next purchase will be open Aeon 2s.

93-D43-A41-7-A0-D-43-C5-88-DC-BA05-E409-A2-E1.jpg
Hi, i’m guessing by this time, your Aeon already passed the burn-in period. Is it still have a problem when matches with the cobalt? Because i’m planning to get the Aeon and the cobalt is all i have

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 89
Hi, i’m guessing by this time, your Aeon already passed the burn-in period. Is it still have a problem when matches with the cobalt? Because i’m planning to get the Aeon and the cobalt is all i have
I don't have a cobolt but there's no way 'burn in' is going to change the headphone's sensitivity. You need power for this. Magni/Vali would work, but I'd go Magnius/Asgard personally.

Mar 23, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 89
Yes, it clips with Cobalt after %40. And %40 volume is nowhere near enough. Aeons require good current. I got Mojo for portable now and it does wonders. 0 clipping. Other people reported similar things also, do not buy it to pair with cobalt.

btw also got a schiit magni heresy stack for dekstop, dont want to deal with mojo in long gaming/listening sessions battery dies quick. I use high gain mode on heresy dial about 12 o clock.

Attachments

• A3F24A55-DCC8-4343-B690-A7A82F3F093E.jpeg
    A3F24A55-DCC8-4343-B690-A7A82F3F093E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #13 of 89
I have the Drop version which is the same headphone. I am also using the magni heresy with them. Stunning sound. I bought them thinking they would just be ok but now I can’t stop using them. Sold off my Ananda because the Aeons are better for my preferred listening of rock/alternative rock. The bass impact on these blows the Ananda away and once you have it you can’t go back. They are surprisingly open sounding as well. I agree with the OP, 500 is really the sweet spot for me and these provide great value.

Mar 28, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 89
More listening done on the weekend.
I use 2 notch white pads for music, no pads for gaming/movies to hear out more details.

magni heresy/modi 3+ is a very powerful stack can run them with good rumble on either low gain near maxed, high gain around 11 o clock. I like to listen loud. This combo is warm, very warm indeed. I can listen to this headphone for 24 hours with this stack and no fatigue at all.

Chord Mojo is magical device and offer more clarity/sparkle. Can power aeon well. I surprised to hear such difference between 2 sources. There’s more stage in mojo too. Wish battery life didn’t suck.

This headphone is very good allrounder, only downside is cable sucks big time. Can feel thin wires inside loose fabric. I’ll order hart audio cables soon. Maybe get a hip dac to expirement with 4.4mm too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back