Dan Clark Aeon 2 closed or LCD-X?
Nov 4, 2020 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

buencamino

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm having trouble choosing between an Aeon 2 Closed and an LCD-X for my next headphone purchase. It's just that a lot of people recommend the LCD-X everywhere. But when I gave the Aeon 2's a listen they were really nice sounding and fit perfectly on my head. I'm thinking about the thoughts of anybody here between the 2 choices. I would really like to have good sound quality and I heard an LCD-X can do that. I'm torn between the 2...

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 14
The LCD-X have my favorite sound signature of the cans I own. They're pretty uncomfortable though, which is a combination of their heavy weight, large size, and poorly designed suspension whose smallest setting is slightly too big for average sized heads. Because I enjoy the sound signature so much, I use them for dedicated listening sessions. For regular use headphones that you throw on and off because you're stepping away from your computer or whatever, the LCD-Xs are inconvenient.

I have the Aeon closed 1. They are more comfortable and convenient than the LCD-X. They have a good sound signature but generally weaker than the LCD-Xs. The LCD-Xs have better bass extension, punchier base, a wider soundstage, and the LCD-Xs also sound "faster" than the Aeons, as in songs anecdotally sound crunchier and hits sound punchier. I think this adds to slightly better sound of instrument separation in the LCD-X as well. The Aeon 1s closed still sound very good though, just a small class below the LCD-X. The Aeons also fit really well due to their ear shaped cup design, at least at first.

The Aeon 1 has two infuriating design flaws: the gimbal suspension gets weaker over time so the headphone height adjustment gets easier to slide around, making it less stable on your head. And the worst feature is that the foam in the pads can twist, meaning your ear pads will no longer hold the right shape over time. Dan has a very poorly done video on a strategy to correct the twisting, which doesn't work.

Frankly, the design flaws of both the LCD-X and Aeons are inexcusable for their price. They're both overpriced and need a makeover.

TL;DR for sound LCD-X every time, for general purpose headphones you want to use a lot, Aeon closed. I plan to keep both in my collection for the foreseeable future.

FWIW, I use my Aeon closed as my main work headphone, when I'm passively listening to music and working. Currently these are what's on my head most of the time. The Aeons sound great, and I don't care if I'm missing out on the really 𝕤𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕓𝕒𝕘 bass and juice from the LCD-Xs when I'm working. I use my LCD-Xs for when I want to get ᖇEᗩᒪᒪY ᔕᒪᑌTTY and have some sick dedicated listening sessions. Like if my favorite artist or friend releases a new track, I demo it on the LCD-Xs first to get the full effect.

When I get tired of the weight of the LCD-X, I switch to the Focal Clears, which are lighter, but don't have as juicy of a bass extension as the LCD-Xs.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 14
hey thanks for the detailed reply. I posted on reddit and a lot of people say that the Aeon 2's are not worth it for the price, like I should consider a beyer T5 gen 3 or a focal elegia. But because I might use the aeon's to travel, on a plane, or working in a coffee shop I thought the portability would be nice considering it's a high end headphone. I was leaning more on the LCD-X but I'm not sure if you know the crinacle list of headphones rating, he rated the LCD-X pretty low and actually the LCD2 classics were on a higher level on the list. So I'm thinking of the LCD2 classic now. So confusing..

Here's his list:
https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 14
You should figure out first if you want open or closed back first. Don't worry about someone's "list", it's just a single person that happens to post a lot. Aeon 2 sounds quite a bit different from Aeon 1, definitely has a warmer, more engaging sound. Many Aeon 2 owners do think it's worth the asking price. And yes, I have all three (for now, anyway, will probably have to sell a few).

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 14
Well, I was thinking.. it's either I buy an LCD-X/LCD 2 for home use and then a Fostex T40RP (closed) for portable use (coffee shops, airports/planes). Or get an Aeon 2 closed for both home and outside since it's portable and closed. Which three do you own? What do you think of the Aeon 2's? When I tested it in the audio shop it has sort of a little static in the high trebles and low bass.. But it was very engaging, sort of reminded me of my Grado SR-60's, very lively (which is nice).

Nov 4, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 14
I have the LCD-X, Aeon 1, and Aeon 2. Aeon 2 is definitely not lacking bass, but it will not have the same sense of impact or slam like the LCD-X. Also the treble is not harsh at all, unless you have the volume too loud, or the recording you're listening too is a bit bright or screechy. The X and Aeon 2 are definitely very different sounding from each other. aeon wins in portability and comfort.

Nov 4, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 14
After reading his review / rating of the Audiosense AQ7 I no longer trust Crinacle's ears / reviews in the least, and have had my personal impressions confirmed by others here and other reviews. Who cares about his ratings chart? If you like them you like them.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Read through the closed back headphones thread - under the full size headphones sub section. Lots of excellent information to be found there, plus a lot of talk and comparisons between these two.

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 14
just another question... I currently own the Hifiman HE-400 (the old one, I think the 2012-2014 version), will the Aeon 2 closed be a step up in terms of sound quality?
I didn't have the HE-400, but did own the 400i. Although that was a nice headphone, there was a certain graininess to the sound, and it didn't do a great job retrieving a lot of detail. The Aeon 2 is definitely more refined and coherent, in my opinion. But keep in mind, what I consider to be a if improvement, may not be suck a huge step up to you.

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 14
Ah sounds good.. hm.. can you like put the aeon 2 closed on your neck when you're not listening comfortably? Like when walking you just plop it on your neck while connected to your source like a normal travel headphone? or is it too big?

Nov 5, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 14
The Aeon earcups are probably too big to realistically wear around your neck, plus they will not rotate. If you want to do that, just get some mainstream dynamic driver headphone that is designed to do that. Aeon is a full size headphone that can be folded down small to carry in a bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back