Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed for outdoor use?
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

buencamino

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, just curious because I might get one. It would be nice to have the headphone be portable since it's marketed that way.. Would it be possible to use it in coffee shops and maybe say on a plane when travelling? Would that be economical or feasible? Do you guys think I could just hang this around my neck if I'm not using it while walking? Maybe I'll just get the 1. something meter cable for travelling and use a 3 meter xlr cable at home for my amp and dac. Any aeon 2 closed users pitch in? Thanks

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 21
Hey there ~ surprised no one has chimed in yet since there are quite a few Aeon Flow 2 lovers here. (I included even though my pair is off at DCA for repair).

Coffee shops, walking, for sure. They have excellent passive noise isolation and combined with a short cable, will be perfect for walking around with.

If I did both, I would take both my CA Cascade and Flow 2 out for the general walk/coffee shop trip.

For trains and planes, I can't comment since I don't commute much anymore due to COVID. I would generally use IEMs due to custom fit and having the most isolation, but then again, that's my personal preference!

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 21
Not too sure yet. To my ears, it sounds like a channel imbalance and was worth sending in to check it out.

DCA has incredible customer support so I'm not worried about it at all!

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 21
Oh ok.. my problem is that I live in the philippines so might have some trouble getting it serviced if ever.. :)

Not anything to be worried about. The Flow 2 is a great headphone and it is very rare to have issues with them. Either way, DCA will work with you!

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 21
Hey there ~ surprised no one has chimed in yet since there are quite a few Aeon Flow 2 lovers here. (I included even though my pair is off at DCA for repair).

Coffee shops, walking, for sure. They have excellent passive noise isolation and combined with a short cable, will be perfect for walking around with.

If I did both, I would take both my CA Cascade and Flow 2 out for the general walk/coffee shop trip.

For trains and planes, I can't comment since I don't commute much anymore due to COVID. I would generally use IEMs due to custom fit and having the most isolation, but then again, that's my personal preference!

when you stuff it in your backpack do you take off the cables first? then re-attach them when you're going to use it in coffee shops? Do you need the carrying case in this situation for transport or can you just fold it up and stuff it in your backpack? I was hoping to use an ifi hip dac to drive it when I'm outside do you think that will be enough? Thanks so much for the input.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 21
The hip-dac will be enough to power it! If you're also looking at a even more portable Bluetooth solution, I'd also recommend checking out our xDSD or xCAN and choosing one based on your needs.

Re: cables on the go, I asked Hart Audio to make some custom cables that are 4 ft in length for me which is perfect for my height. Depending on yours, you could probably get 3 to 4.

You don't need to constantly connect and reconnect the cables, even though the Flow 2 makes it easy for you to with their push pull cable and headband system if necessary. I would always recommend using the carrying case because it doesn't add much bulk to the headphone itself and actually keeps things more organized.

Hope this helps!

Dec 11, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 21
Hey There, I have the RT versions both open and closed and I agree with everything. However, you will not be able to wear those around your neck without looking like you are missing a few bolts! :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 21
I was thinking people will look at me..

Again, not something to worry about ~ I think if anything, it would be a more "Woah, what are those?" kind of look because Aeon Flow 2s are comparably so rare in the general public.

Also works quite well if you wear a lot of black and red like me. I asked Hart Audio to black/red my cables for that reason, ha.

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 21
I just wanted to add my two cents to this thread as well. I occasionally take my A2C’s to the office and they’re great. They do like a bit of current, but the solutions listed above for amps are great. If you’re going the DAP route, you may want to consider getting the VIVO cable terminated in 4.4mm. That would make it easier to access more powerful balanced connections. I use them with my Hiby R6 Pro and they sound great.
just a few points that you might want to know before pulling the trigger on the A2C:
1) left and right are very distinct and there isn’t much of a centre channel.This can be altered with cross-fading, but mostly it’s like sitting between two speakers facing each other (which is ironically exactly what headphones are).
2) The bass is mid-bass focused and, relative mid bass, doesn’t have a whole lot of sub-bass.
3)They can look a little unconventional compared to more main-stream “style” oriented, but how they look on you, that’s a personal decision.

what they do offer:
Very light, comfortable and portable full-sized headphone. They are very fast and detailed. The sound stage is a bit more open than other closed headphones (without cross-fading). Playing around with the filters can be fun too.

based on your location, you may want to use them indoors as most headphones get hot in the tropics. I wear IEMs on the go but if I’m going to be at a desk for a while, I might bring my A2Cs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back