DAMNIT... super.fi 5 pro's, replace or return?
Mar 14, 2006 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

virus67

New Head-Fier
I decided to buy some entry level earbud headphones about 6 months ago and based off my reading i felt the Shure E2C's were the best entry levels for me. I absolutely loved them. Last week i decided i was ready to upgrade and did some reading on the e4c, super.fi 5 pro/eb, and UM2 lineup and decided the super.fi 5 pros were gonna be my pic although i was reluctant to drop the Shure tag because of how great my experience with the e2c's was.
Anyway they came in today and as i plugged them into my 5g ipod i noticed all i was getting was very weak treble. I played with the plug for a bit and finally got it sounding right. The Bass and Treble that comes out of these things are absolutely amazing, im sure the majority of critics were right when they said these have an edge over the e4c's in the bass category, BUT, then all of the sudden the bass and mid/low ranges cut off again and i was left with weak treble. I sat there and played with the plug for another 2-3 minutes and finally got it back but i had to hold it in to keep the music comming in right. I tried the headphones with my computer sound system (it has a very solid headphone jack which everything 'clicks' into very tightly) and initially had no problems but 4 or 5 minutes into a song the same thing started happening and i was forced to hold down the adapter to get steady signal.

The only consistent criticism i read for these was the flimsy cable (very flimsy compared to my Shure's). I repackaged the headphones and am getting ready to call up the online store i bought it from but im not sure whether i should just return these and buy the e4c's or get a replacement. Like i said, the overall sound quality on these is absolutely amazing when their working but is this flimsy cord going to be a problem again? Has anyone else had similar problems? Is there something trick i can do to make it work right? Is this a common occurence? And even though i already asked myself this and made my decision i gotta reconsider... e4c's>super.fi's?
I'd appreciate any input you guys have before i send these back.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 6
Sounds like you have a defective pair of Super.Fi's. Either get them exchanged for a new one, or contact Mike Dias at Ultimate Ears to get it fixed or replaced, if you are not getting cooperation from the reseller.

-Ed

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 6
whoa....
ok that was almost too easy. I called up UE customer service and let her know the problem, the first thing she asked for was a shipping address. I told her im leaving for spring break so she shipped a new set of cables 2nd day air at no charge to me. The entire call including wait time took 3:39seconds, NICE!

I hope its just the cables and not the drivers themselves. It's really weird, I've been listening to them more and another thing i noticed is sometimes the volume comes out at the same intensity but all im hearing is instrumentals in both ears and just the vocals get completely cut out... not static when that happens either...
Any ideas?

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 6
FIXED IT!
even though the replacement cord is comming in in 2 days i couldnt help but try to fix it because of how desperate i was to listen to them again. I started by checking for obvious cuts/intrusions in the cable... none. The problem was definately in the plug itself so I did what came natural to me, i started banging it against the table. Still no luck. Then I remembered i had my soldering iron with me and decided id try to fix any severed connection between the cord and the actual plug so i trimmed the insulation around the plug. For good measure i decided to bang it against the table a few more times before figuring out how to melt the plastic and start soldering. The banging worked! Its been 30 minutes now and not a single beat has been skipped! The sound quality is so badass on these things... cant wait to use em with a normal cable tho... heres some pics for your amusement.
DSC03665.JPG

DSC03667.JPG

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 6
^ that looks...odd. lol It looks like the black cable is munching up the clear cable like a snake.

Anyway, I'm impressed by ur caveman smarts; enjoy the IEMs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back