Damnation is here! (new opeth album!)
Apr 16, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 37
I dig Damnation a lot, and so do my friends. Case closed
cool.gif

Apr 16, 2003 at 11:39 PM Post #18 of 37
You guys should also check this out :

FINNTROLL - Visor Om Slutet

Brand new 11 tracks all-acoustic release by Finland’s nord Viking heroes Finntroll. Not even close to the band’s previous releases this album delivers lush acoustic tracks blends with true Viking arrangement. The release is dedicated to the memory of Teemu “Somnium” Raimoranta.

Check out a sample here http://musica.mustdie.ru/en/band/finntroll/7172/

Apr 17, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
What the hell is all that mellotron/moog stuff..........sounds like early King Crimson influence, samples don't sound too encouraging to me, I am underwhelmed.

Is this really good or are people just saying it is good because they like other Opeth stuff......form the samples I have heard I would never buy this if it was new unknown band.

Let the flames fly...................
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aren't flying flames a different genre?

I'm a big fan of early King Crimson. I kinda like other Opeth stuff (Blackwater Park and Deliverance). I wouldn't characterize Damnation as "really good".

Apr 17, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 37
I got it over a weak ago... great Opeth CD. Opeth is my favorite band, along with Tool. I'll buy it the day it comes out (22nd, I think). I don't know what genre it is, and I don't care. I just like their stuff, and alot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Blackwater Park is still my favorite, followed by Deliverance, then Still Life.

Apr 22, 2003 at 2:27 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

What the hell is all that mellotron/moog stuff..........sounds like early King Crimson influence, samples don't sound too encouraging to me, I am underwhelmed.

You make it sound like a bad thing. Personally, comparisons to KC and inclusion of mellotron and Moog synthesizers are turn-on's!

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:59 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
You make it sound like a bad thing. Personally, comparisons to KC and inclusion of mellotron and Moog synthesizers are turn-on's!

Mellotrons were cool back in early 1970's during the halcyon days of King Crimson & Moody Blues etc. but now in 2003? I guess it also depends how prominently they are featured in the music mix, they give Damnation a very retro, dated feel. Damnation is not terrible but compared to high level of musicianship established by Opeth previously it is a disappointment or step backwards if you will for me.

Actually if you could secretly switch music on Damnation with PORCUPINE TREE "in absentia" I would be much happier since I feel this is a much better example of this style music.

Apr 23, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Mellotrons were cool back in early 1970's during the halcyon days of King Crimson & Moody Blues etc. but now in 2003?

Cellos were cool back in the 1800's, but today? Yes, they are still cool. I do understand the bit about them feeling "dated", but...it's a sound I love. Some people hate synthesizers...as someone on another board said, "spiders eat bugs, there's no accounting for taste". Quote:

Actually if you could secretly switch music on Damnation with PORCUPINE TREE "in absentia" I would be much happier since I feel this is a much better example of this style music.

Yeah, well, I'd have a hard time arguing with that, even without hearing Damnation. (I didn't know you liked Porcupine Tree...?)

All this talk of "damnation" -- the Opeth album, the Cradle of Filth album, Lou's speech...

Makes me want to go out and sin.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 23, 2003 at 12:10 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I'd have a hard time arguing with that, even without hearing Damnation. (I didn't know you liked Porcupine Tree...?)

I only have one PT..........In Absentia and really like it although I hear other albums sound different and probably not appeal to me.

I strongly suspect/hope that Opeth Damnation was a one time side track and next CD will return to their core music style. If Akerfeldt wants to pursue this further he should start another side project band like Dan Swano did with his NIGHTINGALE albums.

Apr 23, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

I strongly suspect/hope that Opeth Damnation was a one time side track and next CD will return to their core music style. If Akerfeldt wants to pursue this further he should start another side project band like Dan Swano did with his NIGHTINGALE albums.

I suspect future releases will be a combination of DAMNATION and DELIVERANCE. The thing is, if they go back to their core music style, they will never move beyond their core audience. I know some people like to keep bands their own little secret, but like, for example, R.E.M., they're just too good now to languish in the underground forever. (not saying that R.E.M. are still great, I'm talking about the PAGENT/DOCUMENT era) But there's only so many people who can stand cookie monster vocals, regardless of how kick-ass the music is..

-jar

Apr 23, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #28 of 37
I must say, I thought Damnation would be more like the song "Deliverance" or "Godhand's Lament," in that the slower/clean vocal parts are impeccable. I also agree with masonjar in that i think (nay, hope) their future albums will be more of a Damnation/Deliverance combo.

Apr 23, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #29 of 37
Well I will keep my Damnation digipak now, I found it can be made to sound better just by skipping last two tracks, the last track is especially lame..........
evil_smiley.gif

Yes let's make next OPETH album a combination of Deliverance/Damnation........as long as it a 95%/5% mix that is.

Apr 24, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Yes let's make next OPETH album a combination of Deliverance/Damnation........as long as it a 95%/5% mix that is.

Deliverance music and Damnation vocals would be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back