Damn you Head-fi, curse you
Feb 3, 2006 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
What the hell did I do? How could you let me do this?

After about a month of sending emails back and forth with Mikhail at Singlepower I decided I wanted to buy a tube amp. Initially I thought a PPX3 would be fine for my tastes, but of course that didn't last very long, oh no sir.

I ended up with a MPX3-SLAM with further upgrades, Jensen PIO and Black Gate capacitors just for good measure. I've never spent as much on one piece of audio equipment ever before. I suspect it's here it starts. The limit to spending will be pushed higher and higher.

I am a broken man! (But I do feel good
biggrin.gif
)

Now for the wait, arg.

Question about tubes. I've read the huge tube thread but there's way too much information there for a tube newbie to digest, so I ask here instead. Will the stock tubes be to my tastes, or should I look for others? I'm gonna use the amp with my HF-1's (and I gotta listen to the MS-1 I just bought too) and of course with my HD650, although mainly with the Grado. I also see myself buying a used RS-1 down the line. Any good suggestions for max heavy guitarilicious enjoyment?

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 25
Congradulations. If I may ask, what did you pay for your MPX3-Slam? I got one heck of a deal from Mikhail back almost 2 years ago now, $800 for a MPX3 almost the full set of upgrades. It was his demo model that had been to a few meets.

I've been extremely happy with it since then. What tube options does your amp provide. If it's 6SN7's check out the old Singlepower Tuberolling thread. http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=45323. If it's the 6CG7 or one of Mikhail's newer combinations check in with SACDLover for recommendations.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter

Question about tubes. I've read the huge tube thread but there's way too much information there for a tube newbie to digest, so I ask here instead. Will the stock tubes be to my tastes, or should I look for others? I'm gonna use the amp with my HF-1's (and I gotta listen to the MS-1 I just bought too) and of course with my HD650, although mainly with the Grado. I also see myself buying a used RS-1 down the line. Any good suggestions for max heavy guitarilicious enjoyment?

First, I am not sure there is a standard set of stock tubes he supplies. But regardless, you need to listen to the tubes and decide if YOU like them. All the tubes of a specific type, say 6sn7's, have slightly different to noticeably different signatures ..... and some of the tube types work better with certain headphones.

The grados need current and the 5687's are the better for this headphone, although the 5687's sound excellent with the senns too. For a warmer, more refined and dimensional sound nothing beats a good 6/12sn7. The SLAM MPX3 is actually a cross between the two with a 6sn7 for input/ gain and 5687's for output tubes, consequently, giving you the best of both tubes strengths.

Feb 3, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
First, I am not sure there is a standard set of stock tubes he supplies. But regardless, you need to listen to the tubes and decide if YOU like them. All the tubes of a specific type, say 6sn7's, have slightly different to noticeably different signatures ..... and some of the tube types work better with certain headphones.

The grados need current and the 5687's are the better for this headphone, although the 5687's sound excellent with the senns too. For a warmer, more refined and dimensional sound nothing beats a good 6/12sn7. The SLAM MPX3 is actually a cross between the two with a 6sn7 for input/ gain and 5687's for output tubes, consequently, giving you the best of both tubes strengths.

I'm not sure what tubes he will send along, but he said he would send me some nos tubes to try out at least.

How many different tube types does the mpx3 support? I haven't asked Mikhail about this so I am a little fuzzy on all the different types. What I understood is that the mpx3 can handle more tubes than the ppx3, is this correct?

Giving the best of two tube strenghts sounds great.
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime
Congradulations. If I may ask, what did you pay for your MPX3-Slam? I got one heck of a deal from Mikhail back almost 2 years ago now, $800 for a MPX3 almost the full set of upgrades. It was his demo model that had been to a few meets.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif
The price is in the vicinity of $1100 and that is also a demo model, which has been slightly used. If he was to build a new one for me it would cost about $1400 I think. So overall I feel like I've gotten a good deal here.

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

I'm not sure what tubes he will send along, but he said he would send me some nos tubes to try out at least.

How many different tube types does the mpx3 support? I haven't asked Mikhail about this so I am a little fuzzy on all the different types. What I understood is that the mpx3 can handle more tubes than the ppx3, is this correct?

Giving the best of two tube strenghts sounds great.

The MPX3 or any of the higher end Singlepower amps (Supra, Maestro etc...) can support the most demanding output tubes like the 6bl7gt/6bx7gt ..... where the PPX3 doesnt have a large enough power transformer to handle the heater current requirements of those two tubes. Otherwise, the PPX3 can use any of the tubes I will list below.

With the tube socket adapters and the 12 volt option I have successfully used the following tubes ..... 6bl7gt/ 6bx7gt/ 6cg7/ 6sn7/ 7af7/ 7n7/ 12fq7/ 12sn7/ 14af7/ 14n7/ 5687.

In addition, there are two more tubes I am testing right now that are going to be excellent choices.
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 25
So, what would be the price for an (in your opinion) optimal tube configuration for the HF-1 and METAL METAL METAL?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 25
Even though I'm not Earl, I think a PPX3 SLAM could do that justice and that is $799 or a MPX3 SLAM $1050 or a MPX3 paired with 6BX7s or 6BL7s

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 25
No way can I match Earl's recommendations, but I do have a PPX3-Slam, and nothing beats my Ken-Rad 6sn7 VT-231 for Grados, paired with some nice warm Sylvania 5687's, or RCA's!

Congrats on a fine purchase, you won't regret it, as my slam is the best single peice of audio equipment I ever bought!
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
No way can I match Earl's recommendations, but I do have a PPX3-Slam, and nothing beats my Ken-Rad 6sn7 VT-231 for Grados, paired with some nice warm Sylvania 5687's, or RCA's!

Congrats on a fine purchase, you won't regret it, as my slam is the best single peice of audio equipment I ever bought!
icon10.gif

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will keep your configuration in mind when I get around to start tube rolling. For now, I just have to wait a long time. It's not gonna be easy!

Earl (or you other fine gentlemen), I'd really like to know if you have any advice for me both in the tube area but also with the amp in general. Warm-up time, etc?

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will keep your configuration in mind when I get around to start tube rolling. For now, I just have to wait a long time. It's not gonna be easy!

Earl (or you other fine gentlemen), I'd really like to know if you have any advice for me both in the tube area but also with the amp in general. Warm-up time, etc?

Well you're already geting the MPX3 SLAM which is a great amp. Hoenstly, start wiith the stock/supplied tubes and go from there. I myself have alot of tube rolling/combinations I need to test out.

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 25
CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!
very_evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, congrats on a awesomely beefy amp - I used to think tube amps were just too slow and ponderous for Grados and only high current solid state amps could feed it the right juice, but Mikhail's amps at the NYC meet really turned my head, I think you'll really enjoy it!

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!
very_evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, congrats on a awesomely beefy amp - I used to think tube amps were just too slow and ponderous for Grados and only high current solid state amps could feed it the right juice, but Mikhail's amps at the NYC meet really turned my head, I think you'll really enjoy it!

That's what I'm hoping as well. I was a little concerned watching some people saying that tubes lacked speed and precision, but the more I read about Singlepower amps, the more I get the impression that this simply isn't true.

Now, I can find out myself!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I wonder how many ppl have cursed Head Fi?
evil_smiley.gif

Ive been browsing this forum and my wallets thin, wouldnt mind havent even brought anything yet !

Feb 3, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I wonder how many ppl have cursed Head Fi?
evil_smiley.gif

I suspect many, many, many, many people.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back