Damn ! I won 85mm 1.4 Nikkor - But I'm gonna Die Soon
Feb 3, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a smooth AI lens, you will want to manual focus.
Call me stupid, but I feel more like I am "making" the picture if I manually focus it.
If you make a nice portrait or two using a manual, you'll have this satisfied feeling of "I 'make' this picture". I don't know, it's hard to explain. My partner (who isn't even into photography) feels the same too.

Congratulations on enjoying more work, but as I previously stated, getting a sharp shot with AF is hard enough for me. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I do, afterall my eyes aren't as good as my CAM module these days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

My Tamron 90mm macro is now, well, becoming a portrait lens, lol. The result is just that good. If you have time to go to camera shop, bring your D2X and have a go at it. Shoot the sales rep behind some lighting in the background (around 2 metres behind and don't use flash), and shoot it wide open, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I debated between this lens and my Nikkor 105mm Makro (VR wasn't out at the time) at the time I purchased it. I can't imagine that their designs are very different, but I find something about the Makro that makes distance photos suck, and I haven't used it since I first tried it over two years ago. Congrats if you enjoy your lens for more than one use though. I've read some people like using Nikon's 60mm Makro for medium distance use as well.

Anyway, good luck with your auction and I hope the lens lives up to your expectations. Here's a shot I got with my AF-D copy last weekend in Upstate NY:

henry-85mm.jpg

(not my kid)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot
but as I previously stated, getting a sharp shot with AF is hard enough for me. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I do, afterall my eyes aren't as good as my CAM module these days.

That's understandable, but your eyesight doesn't necessarily deserve all the blame.

The focusing screens that comes with digital AF cameras are not really meant for manual focusing. The old manual camera's "split image" focusing screens (I think that's what they're called) were meant for manual focusing and make it much easier to do. Plus, on many DSLR cameras, the viewfinder window isn't as big as the one on their manual focus counterparts.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on enjoying more work, but as I previously stated, getting a sharp shot with AF is hard enough for me. Perhaps you'll have better luck than I do, afterall my eyes aren't as good as my CAM module these days.
smily_headphones1.gif

I debated between this lens and my Nikkor 105mm Makro (VR wasn't out at the time) at the time I purchased it. I can't imagine that their designs are very different, but I find something about the Makro that makes distance photos suck, and I haven't used it since I first tried it over two years ago. Congrats if you enjoy your lens for more than one use though. I've read some people like using Nikon's 60mm Makro for medium distance use as well.

I don't have that much problem with manual focusing, but that doesn't mean that I always get the right focus all the time though (especially when the person is a bit far away from me). But generally speaking, I don't find manual (or auto focusing) is that much of a problem. Well, as long as my eyesight is not getting worse, then I'll be fine, hehe... (although recently my mid-range sight is getting worse)

About "split image", yep, once you're used to it, you won't use anything else. My late dad's old Nikon got this feature, and it's so much fun to use. Wonder why there is no such thing on DSLR...

About macro lens, probably you just don't like the focal length?
I really like the Tamron for daylight portrait, but unfortunately I can't show any samples at the moment because all of them are family portraits (I don't think they would allow it if I asked), but next time I'll try to grab a few candids, and I'll post them here.

Feb 3, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

About "split image", yep, once you're used to it, you won't use anything else. My late dad's old Nikon got this feature, and it's so much fun to use. Wonder why there is no such thing on DSLR...

About macro lens, probably you just don't like the focal length?
I really like the Tamron for daylight portrait, but unfortunately I can't show any samples at the moment because all of them are family portraits (I don't think they would allow it if I asked), but next time I'll try to grab a few candids, and I'll post them here.

Yes, there's nothing like a split image; the F3 uses the A screen - quite easy to use with Manual focusing cameras.

Katz Eye has a split image screen compatible with DSLRs!

D200_Viewfinder.jpg

If you are into bokeh and like Nikon, a great lens to consider would be the newer 85 f/1.4AF-D; of course, you'd probably have to sell both 85 f/1.4 AIS and the Tamron
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are into bokeh and like Nikon, a great lens to consider would be the newer 85 f/1.4AF-D; of course, you'd probably have to sell both 85 f/1.4 AIS and the Tamron
biggrin.gif

Hehe... I like bokeh but I prefer to have $1,000 in my wallet thanks. My wallet hasn't seen money lately
biggrin.gif

Yeah I've looked at Katz Eye too, but I can't really afford it at the moment, plus I'm not really comfortable in installing it myself (too far to send my camera to them).

But from what it says, it looks like a great improvement over the stock viewfinder. Nogrot if you live in US, why don't you give it a shot? I'd sure would like to have it but not at this (financial) stage.

Anyway I still don't quite understand why it's not a feature at current DSLRs. Is it an "old" technology, or maybe too costly to make?

Feb 3, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Anyway I still don't quite understand why it's not a feature at current DSLRs. Is it an "old" technology, or maybe too costly to make?

The split image portion of the screen are actually two miniature lenses and add cost to a far simpler screen, albeit etchings, etc., that is currently included in modern DSLRs. Since my D2h has removable screens, I may investigate this.

DJ, where did you get the 85 f/1.4? Was it local in Austrailia? I have a choice of one more lens on my final Nikon wish list and they are between the 35 f/1.4 AIS, 28 f/1.4 and the 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor. If you ever see any mint versions of these, sound the Head-Fi horn!

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #37 of 72
Yeah no problem, I'll let you know if I see any exotic lenses.

I got my 85mm from eBay Australia, but I think I haven't seen that many noct lenses. I remember seeing one last time but forgot how much it went for.
The recent one I saw maybe the 50mm f/1.2, the seller started the bid at AUS$500, but nobody bidded for it.

The only 58mm noct I find is this one, but not from Australian eBay. It's US$ 2,600 by the time I wrote this, and still 4 days left, lol.

It's a beautiful lens, but I wonder is it really worth that much? (maybe more of a collector's item?) If I were to buy f/1.2 lenses, I'd probably just look for the "regular" 50mm and use the remaining money to buy something else - something like 17-35mm 2.8 for instance. yum.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

The one I'm getting is actually the manual AI-S version, but it's still pretty expensive used (I think I got this cheaper than market price for used). My camera is D80, so of course it won't meter but then I can just do everything manually, it's a bit of hassle but at least I know I can get the right exposure I want (can't trust camera all the time).

Jahn, I love your friend's flash page (the main one with the street signs lighting on and off - very creative).
He got a few pretty nice portrait too. Damn I should really consider making some money, out of this hobby, hehe..

Man, congrats on your purchase. I use manual lenses on my D80 also. Having no metering is not a big deal at all. I've been using the FM2 manual SLR so I am pretty good at guessing the shutter speed.
Focusing does takes a while though, especially with such a short DoF. I bought a like new 55mm f2.8 macro for $150USD, and it is the sharpest thing in the world. However, the DoF, when you're down to 1:2 life size reproduction at 2.8, is unbelievably small. I have to take tons of pictures just to get one with the focus spot on. Move a bit, and you're focusing on the leaf under the catepiller.
Did you know that the D80 has a feature for focusing with manual lenses? You know the dot that shows up in the bottom left of the viewfinder when your AF lens is in focus? It comes up when you're focusing with a manual lens too. However, it's not accurate enough for apertures smaller than 5.6 i think. But it's still a nice touch to know you're close to the correct focus. The old split screen focus in my FM2 is much nicer for focusing with the lens.
These old lenses are so well built and are of such high quality you can't afford not to use them. Their value does not go down with time, as you know so well. Tell your wife it's an investment, and it is worth every penny you paid. I just found another deal to buy a 50 1.4 AF-D for $100! Man craigslist is great. You should check that site often; there are lots of awesome deals.

Have fun with your camera.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #39 of 72
I'm not sure if you also experience this or not, but apparently the D80 is not "smart" enough in some lighting conditions, mainly during bright daylights (maybe that's the case in many cameras and I'm asking too much).

I don't like flash so I rely only on shutter speed, and like yesterday no matter what metering I use (spot or matrix) the subject was still oftenly over exposed.
So I ended up doing a full manual and everything went just fine.

PS: 50mm 1.4 AFD for 100 bucks is a great deal, did you buy it? Just be careful because 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 are the lenses that usually most people won't let go (perform so good and it's so affordable), so better make sure that there's nothing wrong with it first.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

The only 58mm noct I find is this one, but not from Australian eBay. It's US$ 2,600 by the time I wrote this, and still 4 days left, lol.

It's a beautiful lens, but I wonder is it really worth that much? (maybe more of a collector's item?) If I were to buy f/1.2 lenses, I'd probably just look for the "regular" 50mm and use the remaining money to buy something else - something like 17-35mm 2.8 for instance. yum.

The Noct Nikkor is a great upgrade if you are into surveillance photography; there are many fast lenses, but few that are actually designed to shoot wide open.

On another, more affordable note, I've had and sold 12~24DX and tried the 17~55DX, to decide on the 17~35 f/2.8, which is a most amazing lens! This, as well as the 24-85 f/2.8-4 and the 10.5DX are the lenses I'll carry with me as I make my way down under to New Zealand. The 17-35 will be on the camera most of the time, as it is impressive throughout the range; whereas the 24 will have to be kept closer to 28mm at its start.

If you ever have an opportunity to get this lens, do so and keep it! It will be a classic, like the 85 f/1.4 that you have, and one that you can or your family can build a system around.

Feb 4, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #41 of 72
17-35mm ? hehe maybe not in this decade. Even if I had the opportunity to get the lens, I wouldn't have the opportunity to use it though... *Hint* refer to title of the post:
AUS$ 450 = partner almost killed me.
AUS$ 1,900 = rest assured I will be killed.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, non AI lenses will damage newer cameras.

Many of the older NAI lenses will mount on the Nikon DSLRs without damage. Obviously there's no metering and no AF but I do that manually anyways, so no real loss, just a bit more hassle. A few NAI lenses won't mount because of the metal lip that sticks out but ime, most of the ones I've tried can mount fine. Ymmv though, don't blame me if you break your camera.
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DJ, where did you get the 85 f/1.4? Was it local in Austrailia? I have a choice of one more lens on my final Nikon wish list and they are between the 35 f/1.4 AIS, 28 f/1.4 and the 58mm f/1.2 Noct Nikkor. If you ever see any mint versions of these, sound the Head-Fi horn!

Hey, yes, mint condition. 35mm 1.4 on eBay.
Go bid your heart out!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #45 of 72
No problem. But good luck though. Looks like they are a few seriously interested buyers there already. Don't sweat it too much, remember you can always get a nice "current" lens instead of just paying premium for rare ones.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back