Damn ! I won 85mm 1.4 Nikkor - But I'm gonna Die Soon
Jan 29, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 72
Tell her you could have paid double that for the AF-D version.

What camera do you have? Unless you have a D200 or better you wont have any metering capability with that lens.

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #17 of 72
The one I'm getting is actually the manual AI-S version, but it's still pretty expensive used (I think I got this cheaper than market price for used). My camera is D80, so of course it won't meter but then I can just do everything manually, it's a bit of hassle but at least I know I can get the right exposure I want (can't trust camera all the time).

Jahn, I love your friend's flash page (the main one with the street signs lighting on and off - very creative).
He got a few pretty nice portrait too. Damn I should really consider making some money, out of this hobby, hehe..

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 72
Tell her you won it, as in, really won it, not the bid
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 72
I can't imagine why anybody would want to use this lens MF and no meter, but congratulations anyway. It took me months before I could really get stable shots from my 85mm f/1.4 (AF, of course) because the depth of field is so tiny. I simply learned to leave my D2x on AF-C and take a whole bunch of shots, and hopefully one will come up at perfect sharpness.

Amazing lens though, I just adore the results out of it. Easily the best lens I own for portraits and such. I have not had good results while using a macro lens at longer distances.

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 72
With a smooth AI lens, you will want to manual focus.
Call me stupid, but I feel more like I am "making" the picture if I manually focus it.
If you make a nice portrait or two using a manual, you'll have this satisfied feeling of "I 'make' this picture". I don't know, it's hard to explain. My partner (who isn't even into photography) feels the same too.

My Tamron 90mm macro is now, well, becoming a portrait lens, lol. The result is just that good. If you have time to go to camera shop, bring your D2X and have a go at it. Shoot the sales rep behind some lighting in the background (around 2 metres behind and don't use flash), and shoot it wide open, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But the outdoor performance is the great thing about this Tamron (background and bokeh to my eyes is superior to Nikon 85mm 1.8). I've tried my brother's Nikkor 105mm 2.8 macro, didn't really like it for portrait either.

Anyway, the seller hasn't got back to me, now I'm getting worried that he might change his mind. Well I hope he isn't because winning the bid = contract. But you know eBay...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 72
Ehh, the 85/1.4 and 50/1.4 are about the same size....right? So what's stopping them from being the same lens??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What camera do you have? Unless you have a D200 or better you wont have any metering capability with that lens.

it looks like it was ais "converted"/built.

has nikon switched to a fully digital aperture system? eeh, chances are good enough that like the "newer cameras" that would not accept non-ai lenses (for fear of breakage) someone with that camera would not buy that lens... coments of "you paid $400 for a lens that dosnt zoom" abound in that camp
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ehh, the 85/1.4 and 50/1.4 are about the same size....right? So what's stopping them from being the same lens??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Trust me they are NOT the same size, hehe...
The glass from 85 1.4 is huge. It's quite heavy too (actually I'm a bit concerned with this since this lens is pretty much the same weight as my camera, I hope I won't have this feeling of the lens dragging the camera down).
The 85mm AI-S version is 72mm (AF-D one is 77mm I think), whereas the 50mm version is 52mm.

About 85mm 1.4, It is AI-S, as far as I know Nikon never made 85mm 1.4 prior to AI-S version, so it's not a converted lens. I think this is the first version they made (AI-S), and after that, it's replaced with the AF-D version (which I personally would rather have, but no one is selling it at the AI-S price unfortunately).

By the way, the seller just got back to me, so it's good news.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trust me they are NOT the same size, hehe...
The glass from 85 1.4 is huge. It's quite heavy too (actually I'm a bit concerned with this since this lens is pretty much the same weight as my camera, I hope I won't have this feeling of the lens dragging the camera down).
The 85mm AI-S version is 72mm (AF-D one is 77mm I think), whereas the 50mm version is well, 52mm.

About 85mm 1.4, It is AI-S, as far as I know Nikon never made 85mm 1.4 prior to AI-S version, so it's not a converted lens. I think this is the first version they made (AI-S), and after that, it's replaced with the AF-D version.

Heh...just looked up the specs...the 85 is almost twice as long as the 50
tongue.gif

There was this rather hilarious thread at FredMiranda in which all the guys discussed how they kept purchasing conflicts with the wives to a minimum. Many of them ended up claiming that several lenses, such as a Canon 200/1.8 and 300/2.8 were the same ("the big white one"), and the 17-40L, 35L, and 85L or 1.8 were the same ("the small black one"). You'd be surprised at the evasive talents of some of the folks
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The 85mm is much bigger. I think is the heaviest per sq cm lense I have seen behind the Canon 85mm L.
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 85mm is much bigger. I think is the heaviest per sq cm lense I have seen behind the Canon 85mm L.
icon10.gif

Do you think your wife could tell the difference if you walked around with the two attached to your camera and she didn't know a thing about photography?

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

has nikon switched to a fully digital aperture system? eeh, chances are good enough that like the "newer cameras" that would not accept non-ai lenses (for fear of breakage) someone with that camera would not buy that lens... coments of "you paid $400 for a lens that dosnt zoom" abound in that camp
wink.gif

Yeah, non AI lenses will damage newer cameras. Conversions are cheap though.

A quote from aiconversions.com:
Quote:

Unconverted lenses should not be mounted on these bodies because of the interference between the aperture ring and the minimum aperture sensing switch

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #29 of 72
Quote:

Do you think your wife could tell the difference if you walked around with the two attached to your camera and she didn't know a thing about photography?

Yes definitely. The 85mm is much bigger. The 50mm is barely noticable on the camera. I love them both. I love my F3hp. Its so much easier to use than my Canon digital. I wish someone would invent "digital film" that could be put in the place or regular film.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #30 of 72
Quote:

Heh...just looked up the specs...the 85 is almost twice as long as the 50
tongue.gif

There was this rather hilarious thread at FredMiranda in which all the guys discussed how they kept purchasing conflicts with the wives to a minimum. Many of them ended up claiming that several lenses, such as a Canon 200/1.8 and 300/2.8 were the same ("the big white one"), and the 17-40L, 35L, and 85L or 1.8 were the same ("the small black one"). You'd be surprised at the evasive talents of some of the folks
biggrin.gif

Well, unfortunately I can't do that with my partner because I don't earn much so any difference in account will be noticed immediately, hehe...
Also, unfortunately I talked a lot about lenses and camera with her (not sure if she's really listening though), so she sort of have pretty much basic knowledge about lenses and she's also using the lenses (changing aperture and all that), so yes, there is no way I can say "that little black lens"
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back