Damn I love the re0's, but 2 small complaints :)
Jan 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

luciobar1980

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, just got my replacement re0's in finally! I forgot how much I love these. I had the TF10's but sold them to a fellow boardie. I just love the neutral and detailed presentation of the re0's, what can I say. The separation, to my ears is better than on the tf10's.

Two minor complaints, however:

1) I sent my original unit back to Head-Direct in the box with all the included tips (minus the ones I had used extensively), but the replacement I received included only the phone in a manila padded envelope. Is this normal? Should I have just hung on the original box and accessories? I feel slightly gipped (sp?) but maybe this was my misunderstanding.

2) Does anyone else find the little sliding cable binder/clip/whatever (what's it called?) really way too tight to be useful? I feel like I am going to damage the cables if I use this slider regularly.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 19
you should have held onto the box with the accessories. i think it was posted in the email that they give you when you ask for replacement.

the clip is tight
frown.gif

i'm surprised head-fiers do not find channel imbalance on the re0. i went through a couple of re0 and there is a strong imbalance with the right side being louder. i got to try my friend's and his was perfectly fine.

Jan 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 19
Hmm, yeah my first set didn't have an imbalance issue and these don't seem to either. hmm I dunno. Too bad about the overtight clip.. I'll have to make my own
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 19
that is perfectly normal and they should have told you to only send the headphones, with no tips, no case, nothing
then they send you new headphones with just plain tips

they didnt tell you that?

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 19
Well, I dug it up. here's what they said..

"Our warranty policy is 30 days refund and 1 year replacement. Please print your online receipt, note you need a replacement, and ship the earphone, receipt and note back to us."

So, I guess they did just say "earphone". Whatever, not a big deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 19
yeah most smaller companies like head direct only send the earphones back when doing warranty or replacement in my experience.

also i have no issues with the slider thing above the y split. its tight but doesnt give me any worries that the cable will be damaged.

i didn't like the box or the tips so it wouldn't be an issue with me but extra tips arent too hard to find if you did use them.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 19
Take this as an opportunity to get good tips; a pair of sony hybrids and/or some shure olives.

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 19
Don't use slider at all.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 19
Yeah, the Sony hybrid tips, even the fakies on eBay fit the RE0 and give pretty sound for me. I recently pulled the original large double flange clear tips that came with my RE0, and I cut off the back tip to make a single tip that fits my ears perfectly, and I think the sound is a bit better than the hybrid fakes.

Funny, but the best sounding tips I've found, esp for bass response, is some of my son's Senn CX-300 II mid-size tips. The core hole is large and sometimes slips off the RE0 barrel when I remove them, but I just slip the tip back on.

BTW, no R/L imbalance issues with mine for 6+ months.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the Sony hybrid tips, even the fakies on eBay fit the RE0 and give pretty sound for me. I recently pulled the original large double flange clear tips that came with my RE0, and I cut off the back tip to make a single tip that fits my ears perfectly, and I think the sound is a bit better than the hybrid fakes.

That's an interesting mod. I've kinda wondered why the second flange if it isn't meant to be in your ear. I might try that someday.

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #13 of 19
I think MANY owners have voiced their concerns over imbalance and rattling bass at higher volumes.

The stock tips leave a lot to be desired. I'll try them with CX tips and see if they fit better.

The ring is very tight and worrisome for long-term ownership. I fashioned a tape slider and it works like the plastic tube slider you'd find on other IEMs.

Jan 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #14 of 19
The Sony tips fit me a lot better. I'm not sure if they're the hybrid, but I found some spare ear tips from my ancient EX51 sony buds and they fit perfectly. I'm a happy camper now.

dL

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 19
Regarding the slider: I have the older RE0 version with the fabric cable, and do not fine the slider to be too tight on it. I guess when used on a rubber cable, the added friction makes it harder to move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back