Dammit I Need a DAC
Dec 2, 2009 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sandwich

Head-Fier
I'll cut to the chase...
I have:
Audigy 2ZS --via analog-> Hitachi Old Skool Stereo Amp -> two bookshelf speakers

My problem
Audigy 2ZS picks up hard drive noise, sounds crap, annoys me.

I want:
Audigy 2ZS --via SPDIF-> **DAC** --via lineout-> Hitachi etc.

The DAC can be anything that takes SPDIF in (no USB). Standalone device, DIY, home theater receiver... anything. Any bonuses like dolby digital processing are a plus. No Batteries. Gotta be under $100, willing to get used stuff. (edit: willing to build my own)
I've been searching high and low, but can't find anything simple

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 12
Dec 2, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Beresford TC-7510. Used for two years with my Senns 555 and AKG K701 with my computer and later PS3, both with toslink in. I haven't heard that many standalone DAC in my life, but it sounds better than any soundcard that I've heard (X-Fi Prelude and below, haven't listened to new Asus and other stuff), and that it sounds inferior to my $350 Keces DAC.

Also, YGPM.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 12
I got a naked DAC from gigawork seller on ebay, ships from China. It's called High Grade DAC 24/96 etc. It's fully assembled but you'll need to get a chassis for it. It sounds great though, got rid of all the noise coming out of one of my computers too. It has toslink and coaxial in, RCA out. Nice and simple. Also if I remember, it's only $50 plus shipping..?

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$120

ULTRA-SMOOTHIE GOLD-EDITION S/PDIF STEREO DAC LINE-OUTS - eBay (item 280405148670 end time Jan-01-10 10:50:32 PST)

so far hotaudio products got only good reviews in this forum. they also have very good support.

I had the same problem you had.

I bough the cheap usb version. solved it easily

Does anyone know if this is a good dac for a5 speakers? If they are, it would save me from buying from hong kong since I actually live in Canada and avoiding duty charges and crap like that.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 12
are there any DACs that I can build into a regular sized altoids tin???? I'm not 100% convinced I should buy a fullsized amp just yet because for >$100 i'd rather start saving up for a HT reciever. :/

Edit: i was looking at the Silverstone EB01, but then i realised it was USB.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any DACs that I can build into a regular sized altoids tin???? I'm not 100% convinced I should buy a fullsized amp just yet because for >$100 i'd rather start saving up for a HT reciever. :/

Maybe a Bantam DAC? That's USB, though, IIRC.

HeadphoneAddict recently gave the $99 Nuforce uDAC a great review. Also USB-only, but at that price range / altoid-box-size, that's probably what you're going to find.

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 12
hey that looks good! If that S/PDIF out is just a pass through, that means i can completely replace my sound card.

Question, I've heard something about Beresford conducting shady business practices. What's that all about?

Dec 6, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 12
He has masqueraded as normal people and promoted his products using these personae.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incidentally, why SPDIF only? 24/96 FLAC?

yeah I have an all FLAC collection. Additional reasons: potential drivers issues, CPU load for the USB bus, dolby compatibility for movie watching.

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 12
SPDIF response: I also would like to continue using my current sound card for some post processing in games and what not.

about beresford: was he lying about his products? are they actually bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back