Damaged right cable on SR225s. Recable myself or send into Grado?
Sep 15, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main worry is that I'll somehow screw up the headphones taking them apart. Other than that I'm not worried about anything else other than how much it's going to cost me :p

Lets say I were to make a short 6' cable. What exactly will I need?
6 feet of this cable
12 feet of this sleeve
1 foot of shrinktube
A 1/4" stereo jack

Is this correct?

shouldnt be that hard.
good luck now
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

My main worry is that I'll somehow screw up the headphones taking them apart. Other than that I'm not worried about anything else other than how much it's going to cost me :p

Lets say I were to make a short 6' cable. What exactly will I need?
6 feet of this cable
12 feet of this sleeve
1 foot of shrinktube
A 1/4" stereo jack

Is this correct?

One boring day i just felt like recabling, and took apart my SR-80. Now i've modded the cups, i still have to paint them. I just heated the cups with blowdrier an took them apart, no spoons or nothing, just pulled them off. I had only one problem: I didn't order the parts first, so now my Grados are laying in parts on my desk
rolleyes.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #18 of 24
I've had to pull one side of my SR225s apart twice as one of the wires connected to the driver came adrift(could that be your problem?)
I just twisted the 2 halves against each other and they came apart.
Last time I put a small cable tie inside the housing and kept a little slack on the inner wires. The cable tie prevents too much tension being put on the cable/driver joint.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that cable would be pretty decent for the job.
get nylon multifilament. You'll want about 6' 3/8" or 1/4" and 3' 1/8"
get some 3:1 heatshrink so you can use the same size for everything
Neutrik makes some nice plugs

So the 6' sleeve would be for the two channels together until they split apart to go into the each headphone, and the 3' sleeve would be cut in two and put onto each channel, correct? In which case I should get 8' of that wire, right?

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #20 of 24
I did my SR-60 as my first recable ever and it went very smoothly! The blowdryer/spoon method worked easily to get the cups separated and the innards are really clear with grados (blue wire = ground, white/red = signal so no mistake possible)

My only advice would be to buy a bit more materials than you actually need and build some interconnects first (a mini-mini or mini-RCA) so you get a feel for soldering plugs and for the logical order to put all components on (sleeve, heatshrink, plug-barrel, ...) Do read the IC step-by-step sticky in the DIY section and perhaps also the cable gallery as they will both give you awesome ideas for your own work. There's also Masantos' litz braid tutorial (the 4-wire braid is perfect for a recable and very easy)

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #21 of 24
Pics!

( sorry, but I think its mandatory to post a pic or two with any comment like the one above :p )

Also this covers the Post Pics! comment for when you try it out and recable your ones, as you seem to be going ahead with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

So the 6' sleeve would be for the two channels together until they split apart to go into the each headphone, and the 3' sleeve would be cut in two and put onto each channel, correct? In which case I should get 8' of that wire, right?

if you only want a 6' cable then you'll be fine with 6-7' 8' will give you extra which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. You could always get a few extra feet and some RCA plugs to practice your soldering skills or some mini plugs and make yourself a mini IC while you're at it. but for just the recable you could get by with 6' and the finished cable would be just shy 6', or probably right at 6' if you count the tip of the plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back