Damaged plug of headphones... What to do?
Dec 23, 2004 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Silver

500+ Head-Fier
My friend has got a pair of Philips HP800. His phones' plug seems to be damaged- sometimes can hear sound coming from his phones if he tweaks the plug, sometimes can't. He asks me whether he should try replacing the original plug by soldering the plug from some other headphones and his HP800s... Can you guys give him some advice?

Dec 23, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 2
A plug from another pair of headphones will most likely be molded onto the cable and won't be able to be put on another cable. You can buy plugs that'll work, though. Your local electronics store should have some. Radioshack probably sells them, if you MUST go there. If your friend is decent at soldering, it shouldn't be a problem. Put the plug case on the cable, solder the cable to the plug, screw it on. The only trick is that headphone cable sometimes has weird coatings on the wire or other odd things such insulation. Usually it's still possible to solder, but it becomes trickier. Most coatings will just burn away into fumes when you solder. All I can say is, hope he's skilled and good luck!

Here's an example of what he'd want: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=092-155

I've used this particular plug, I can help if you need further instruction on how to solder to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back