Damaged DAC?
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jtatknox

New Head-Fier
I bought an Entech number cruncher on eBay last year when they were all the rage (maybe they are still so) and was extremely pleased with using the optical in port on the DAC. I recently got a DVD player and decided to hook it up using the switched coaxial input and a standard yellow video cable. When I did, the sync light turned on but all I could hear was digital noise coming out of the speakers (high frequency). I tried another source with the exact same noise profile. What is going on here? Is there any hope of fixing it?

frown.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 6
It sounds like the DAC is having trouble locking onto the clock signal. Try turning on the DVD player first, then the DAC.

Are you using DVD Audio? Make sure the output is set to streaming PCM.

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtatknox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought an Entech number cruncher on eBay last year when they were all the rage (maybe they are still so) and was extremely pleased with using the optical in port on the DAC. I recently got a DVD player and decided to hook it up using the switched coaxial input and a standard yellow video cable. When I did, the sync light turned on but all I could hear was digital noise coming out of the speakers (high frequency). I tried another source with the exact same noise profile. What is going on here? Is there any hope of fixing it?

frown.gif

Go into the menu of the DVD, then change the audio output to PCM 2 Channel audio.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the tips. The crappy interface on my Motorola set top box claims it is outputting stereo, but who knows? If I can't fix it, are there any DACs that can handle 5.1 audio and convert it to stereo?

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 6
Only the integrated AV amps generally have the DTS and other support, you'll need to force 2ch. output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back