damage to ears? im716
Mar 27, 2008 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

calvin91

Head-Fier
have you iem users ever notice taht after a while(1-2 hours) of lsitening, you feel a bit of pain/discomfort in ur eardrums?? thats what ive been experiencing lately with my AL im716... and i only have the volume at 17%(full on my volume atenator)

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 24
I feel the same way with my im716 and ER4P. In fact, I can only listen to them for like 40 minutes without getting discomfort. I think it's common problem with "true" IEM.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 24
Yes, i wouldn't say it's to much pain, more like a little discomfort.

I get this after about even 20 or 30 minutes with my HD 650's, at any volume.

I think it's just the spl (sound pressure level), like gong on a plain your ears can sometimes hurt due to unbalanced pressure..

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 24
nope never had a problem with hours of use with my se530s. sometimes i sleep in them or a have a few hour session just laying down time flies by and hours feel like minutes and not one once of pain. do you always use them at low settings? or in the past have you used your phones at high volumes for extended periods of time?

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 24
Rather than discomfort and pain in my eardrums, I can hear my pulse or heartbeat or whatever it is in my right ear after awhile. I hope this isn't bad.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather than discomfort and pain in my eardrums, I can hear my pulse or heartbeat or whatever it is in my right ear after awhile. I hope this isn't bad.

Are you using a fit that is too tight, causing your ear canal skin to sore and swell?

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 24
I know what you mean, not so much pain for me it just feels quite uncomfortable and unnerving. i seem to be put off wearing them for more than an hour or two because of this.

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #9 of 24
I've never had problems with Shures or 'canalbuds' like the Senn CX300. Pressure imbalances can cause what you describe. You can force a yawn now and again to equalize the pressure in your ears like you do on a plane. I can tell when there's an imbalance in my own head because the bass drops out a bit and the highs get annoying (seriously) - yawning changes it back to the normal sound.

Mar 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 24
I find that hooking armature IEMs up to an decent amp, even a portable one, helps to reduce the inherent harshness and fatigue. Sibilance, which usually causes me to wince, is reduced to a point where it sounds much more natural.

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 24
you are right robojack. i honestly don't like using amps portably as i really have small pockets! often amps will help roll off treble a bit too to help with sibilance but... i get severe tinnitus for short periods if i listen to armatures. even at low volumes (um2 on d2 4/50 volume was often too loud - er4s was another story, about 26 or so)

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by phuque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using a fit that is too tight, causing your ear canal skin to sore and swell?

x2 this is what happens to me. Especially during allergy season when my ear canals are already sensitive. This is probably what's happening to you. I doubt that your ear drums would hurt unless you actually poke them or you're listening too loud.

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you iem users ever notice taht after a while(1-2 hours) of lsitening, you feel a bit of pain/discomfort in ur eardrums?? thats what ive been experiencing lately with my AL im716... and i only have the volume at 17%(full on my volume atenator)

If you want to double your pain, newegg is now selling the 716s for $20. Just kidding (not about the sale, but about the pain). I'd try the Comply slim foamies (part of the P line of sleeves) with the 716s, they work for me with the 616s and the 716s (when I owned them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back