Damage possible from software equalizer?
Dec 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aleryn

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask a possibly silly question.

Is it possible to damage a pair of headphones by enabling BASS BOOST on an iPod, or raising the low frequencies via a software equalizer when listening on a PC?

Thanks and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 5
Does it crackle? It won't necessary damage the headphones(unless you boost it too much), but I recommend that you turn down the upper frequency(treble) rather than increasing the bass.

Boosting causes distortion and serious degrade in sound quality.

Dec 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not experiencing any sound issues, I'm just being super careful now that I've finally got a nice pair of headphones.

Okay, so in general it's best just to leave the bass alone and lower the high frequencies to better hear the bass.  Got it.  I was already doing that and glad to hear similar advice.

The only weirdness I've experienced is earbuds making a creaking or crackling noise after months of regular BASS BOOST on an iPod.  After a year or so of use I suspect they were just "wearing out."

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 5
You have to understand how bass is produced. Lower frequencies are produced by larger surface area on the drivers, while output is mostly from excursion. Boost the bass, and it will likely have to do a longer excursion even at the same volume level as before. If it's too near the driver's limits, then you add stress to the driver suspension, and maybe even the diaphragm itself. Watch those car subwoofer videos on YouTube - sometimes the subwoofer doesn't look round anymore. That's not just an optical illusion from them pounding faster than your brain can keep up visually - they really are misshapen at that point.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 5
@ProtegeManiac

Material science angle, got it.  Increased bass output, especially exaggerated, increases the wear and tear on the speaker.  That summarizes things very well, thank you.  I'll just drop the treble if I want "more" bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back