Dallas Meeting Impressions
Feb 19, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
In crossfeed off/filter off, I've not found the highs of the Max to be at all rolled off compared to any of the several amps I've compared the Max to directly -- using the same source, same cables, same headphones.

I have to agree with Jude here. Crossfeed off/filter off, the Max is as flat as I've heard, using various headphones. With crossfeed on, you need to turn the filter on to get a flat response, but even then it's very flat.

Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
Jude, would agree that the Max has softer highs than other amps? Maybe not rolled off, but definitely not forward? Would agree it's a warmer amp?

I would characterize the Max as impressively flat. Maybe it seems to be "softer" in the highs, but to me it's that it doesn't have the harshness in the treble that many amps have.

The other thing I noticed is that most of the people at the meet seem to favor a "brighter" sound -- they aren't fans of the HD600, but like the DT931 and similar headphones. So perhaps that, coupled with the Max's less bright treble, might explain at least some of the views presented?

Feb 19, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
Jude, would agree that the Max has softer highs than other amps? Maybe not rolled off, but definitely not forward? Would agree it's a warmer amp?

I'm not Jude, but I would strongly disagree with this statement. I sensed no rolloff or softness in the highs with both crossfeed and filter in the off position. Not even a hint of it. I don't understand this at all, because it doesn't make any sense to me.

The Max is a highly involving, extended amp that doesn't leave much of anything behind. It's at the top of its class.

The tube headphone amps don't sound tubey. They don't. They don't have a sonic character that distinguishes them from solid state from my findings. Speaker amps? Different story. But headphone amps? Just another amp in my book. I think the mind plays tricks sometimes.

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by fiddler
Jude, have you had the opportunity to compare your Max to the Corda?

No, fiddler, not directly. I listened to the Corda at the Detroit Head-Fi Get-Together, but only briefly. I was pretty much riveted to the "high end" table, listening to the BlockHead and the Orpheus. I was trying to figure out how to undo the brackets on either or both of them so I could stick them under my shirt and make a hasty exit.
wink.gif

I'd like to listen to the Corda more though, and maybe will buy one some day. I have faith in Jan Meier's ability to extract performance from a pair of headphones.

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:09 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Dan... I'm not willing to say I prefer the etys to MS Pros or RS1s yet. When I had the MS Pros and RS1s I had the MG Head, an amp that was bad for Grados... Now that I have the Melos I need to try them again. I have a feeling they would give the etys a run for their money.

Flumpus, you've got to tell me where you can hook me up with a MSPro or RS-1 for $270
wink.gif
(or $230, what I got the etys for on that one sale)

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #35 of 43
Hey there pigmode.

OK, first off, UPGRADE YOUR FRIGGIN TUBES MAN. I'm tellin you, once you do that your gonna start hearing the magic. Yes the tubes don't matter as much as in most tube amps but they DO matter. Also, man if the Melos isn't rocking your world there may be something wrong with it, some part performing but not at it's best. Who knows, maybe the volume pot is worn out. Millions of things could be wrong. GIVE THE MELOS A CHANCE.

-ai0tron

PS I think I am going to order some Beyer 931's... Next month maybe.

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #36 of 43
The issue at stake is not whether there is anything that can beat the Etymotics for the money, but whether there is any sub-$1000 headphone that can beat the Etymotics. For me the MS Pro just hands-down sounds better than the Etys.

Feb 19, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #37 of 43
The Etys are interesting. I tried them for the first time at the meeting. They are very strange. It was as if my brain was plugged directly into the source... which was both comforting and unsettling. Although the isolation dropped the noise floor to ZERO, I feared that a loud pop might destroy my ear canal completely. Creepy little buggers.

I'll give them another go at the next meeting. The phones I really want are the AKG-K1000 w/subwoofer or perhaps a beefy tube amp.

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #38 of 43
MacDEF, I agree that the Max (latest version) is very flat. The Corda also measures very flat, but actually sounds brighter than the Max. Between the two I prefer the Max, but I can see that people in the brighter is better camp might think otherwise. The higher end HeadRoom amps use the OPA627 op amp which is known for it's non-aggressive sound. I have substituted these in the first stage of the Corda in place of the LM6171 op amps and find this tames some of the slight brightness of the Corda to my liking.

Feb 19, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #39 of 43
MacDef and Kurt, I think yall are right. I can definitely hear all the information out of the Max, which leads me to believe it's probably flat. And ya, I think alot of us prefer brighter stuff like the 931s. Probably a good reason for us not liking the Max as much as some other people.

Dan, I agree, it's not about beating the etys for the money. That can't be done. Sub-$1000, I'd have to hear the MSPs or RS1s now that I have a much better source and an amp that matches up well with them. Anyone wanna send me some RS1s or MSPs for a comparison, anyone?
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by KurtW
MacDEF, I agree that the Max (latest version) is very flat. The Corda also measures very flat, but actually sounds brighter than the Max. Between the two I prefer the Max, but I can see that people in the brighter is better camp might think otherwise. The higher end HeadRoom amps use the OPA627 op amp which is known for it's non-aggressive sound.

I think Kurt nailed it. The Corda is very, very flat in highend response. There's no sibilance, but the extreme high-end is a very crisp.

It will reveal any high-end garbage in the recording, so make sure your recordings are up to par with this amp, unless you have a treble fetish.
eek.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #41 of 43
Ahhh... I meant to post here a long time ago, but for reasons such as school and work, I was unable to
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, Flumpus - have you gotten any feedback regarding the Grado 325's? I would assume that they just have to sound better than how they did at the meet. I was pretty disappointed that they didn't sound better than my 125's.

It's kind of too late to post any of my impressions for validity reasons, but I think I'll do it anyway. This is from what I remember, now I'm sure I've forgotten a few things in the week that has gone by, but... general impressions will do I guess. Also, you have to take into account that I really didn't get a chance to listen to any of this equipment for more than a couple minutes, which, in my opinion, is not very long in really determining impressions on equipment. Oh well. Okay, basically, it'll be what I liked better.

The Melos SHA-1 is just a badass amp. I didn't get a chance to listen to it that much last time, but I did listen to it for a bit, and it brought back all those fuzzy feelings. Heh, anyway, that's a very nice amp... especially for the price Flumpus payed for it. I think the sound of this amp has been described enough on these forums. The only bad thing about the Melos amps is (and I think Nick and I talked about this), what if it decides not to work anymore? What do you do unless you know how to fix these things? Hopefully sometime soon this amp will be copied and the masses can enjoy it... as long as it doesn't cost too much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Another amp I really enjoyed was Nick's MG Head OTL. This, like I've said in the past, will definitely be my next amp purchase. I remember not liking the OTL output too much, and prefering the headphone output. This amp is just so sweet and rich sounding. It's the tube thing. Also, with Nick's tubes, there was a considerable difference (for the better in my opinion) in sound between Nick's and Aaron's (Flumpuses roommate) MG Head. Although, Aaron's MG Head is a DT, not OTL, different tubes, and I also heard it on a totally different setup. So... there are a lot of factors there, so it's not really fair. But, for me, I wouldn't buy the DT if I knew I could get the OTL.

As far as my Creek OBH-11, I don't feel that it strains to provide the music to our ears like Kelly
smily_headphones1.gif
but, I have been wondering what the OBH-2 would do for the thing. Hmmm... anybody wanna loan me an OBH-2? Last time I checked on these I remember the upgrade being close to $100. I really would rather not pay that much. $50 would be fine, but not $100.

My thoughts concur with others about the other amps that were at the meeting. Also, headphones too. And to tell you the truth, I really didn't get a chance to listen much to the Beyer 831 and 931s, albeit, they were very nice headphones. Definitely much more forward than the Senn's, but as someone said earlier, they are both great phones, just different. I'll probably end up with a pair of them some day.

Okay, that's all I feel like typing right now. As soon as I get an MG Head OTL I will set aside a weekend to post my impressions of that amp compared to the Creek OBH-11. And hopefully by that time I'll have the upgraded power supply so I can compare those differences as well.

Later.

Feb 25, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #42 of 43
Glad you liked my humble little amp. Even though it was loaded with inexpensive JJ EL84's and a Raytheon 5751, it was able to slightly edge out the DT which had Amperex Bugle Boy EL84's and a Telefunken 12ax7. The GE blackplate 5751 I have sounds less bright and more organic. Again, not better... just different.

I know the Melos beats the MG Head OTL, but perhaps it would fare better against the ZOTL, EMP, or RKV?

We'll find out at the next meeting!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #43 of 43
Of course man
smily_headphones1.gif
I would have liked to A/B the DT and your OTL though, but... too much stuff to listen to to take the time to actually do that.

So are you saying that we're going to have those amps at the next meeting? That would be nice.

But, even nicer... would be your speaker set up. Once you get it done...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back