Dallas / Ft. Worth Meet #2 Impressions (1/07/06)
Jan 9, 2006 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

[AK]Zip

Member of the Trade: APureSound
Post your impressions here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine to come little by little soon.

Thanks to everyone who came and brought such nice gear.

-Alex-

Jan 9, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 16
First, thanks to Alex for snagging an excellent room to host the meet in. Hopefully it is available again for future meets.

I really don't want to post many impressions, or it will start a feeding frenzy in the FS sections about some of my next purchases - let's just say I now have a far greater appreciation for _some_ Audio Technica products...
biggrin.gif

And, the Headroom amp / DAC combo was exceptional, even though I'm not a believer (yet) in the computer-as-a-source route for my circumstances, but there is no argument about the technical performance - very strong.

In some limited listening, I could hear almost NO difference in the Cardas cable vs the Moon BDv2, be it my flagging energy, or that I wore sweats on a January day that hit 83 degrees (in Dallas, very abnormal) - global warming IS a reality.

And my Grover UR6 were waiting in the mailbox when I got home...
rolleyes.gif

Thanks to everyone who showed up, and let's do it again...

Al

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Well, it's what I get for staying out for too late the night before, I was several hours late and I apologize to everyone for this
frown.gif
. Next time lunch is on me. My quick notes from the short time I was there...

Eastsound CDP - Yeah, I definitely want to get a nice cdp as a source in the near future.

Audio Technica - I'll be keeping a close eye on the sale forums to try and locate a pair of them, I may have to fight Pabbi over the next pair that come up for sale, they were just too nice sounding for me to ignore. They hit the sweet spot for rock, the drums were just perfectly tight, though I didn't like them as much as my 650's when it came to more mellow stuff.

Oh, I also believe I'll definitely be moving more towards tube amps on my next amp upgrade. Though which one...

Anyways, thanks for putting everything together, Alex, sorry to anyone that wanted to hear something I brought but didn't get a chance to, I goofed big time
frown.gif
I'll try to make up for it next time.

Jan 9, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 16
Kudos to Alex for putting it together.

Count me in as another fan of the ATH-W100. Very nice cans indeed.

Of particular interest to me was a close listen to my ATH-A700s vs. the ATH-A900s. They are, of course, very similar cans. I think the mids on the A900s were a smidge better, and since the mids are the clear weakness of the A700s, it may well be worth the extra $50 if I needed closed cans more often than I do.

Nice to meet folks, nice to hear all the different stuff. Sorry I had to bail a little early, but I did have to make the drive back...
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 16
Came across this thread by accident. Well done, Alex. Seemed you have done some awesome work recruiting for the Team.
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, you know what to do
biggrin.gif

Overlunge

p.s. We need photos!

Jan 10, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 16
Yep, just missing the estrogen... otherwise another stellar effort from Christina. :)

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 16
Great pics Rednabox.

What the heck is up with that one HF-1? The owner been rocking it so hard the wood button split?

Wish I could have made it out there for the meet but I didn't have anything interesting to add. Had I secured an electrostatic amplifier in time I would have brought it and the HE90's. Would have loved to see what the Eastsound had to offer.

I'll definitely make more of an effort for a DFW #3 meet in the future.

Alex...have you posted any impressions on the L3000 anywhere or are you still getting acquainted?

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Great pics Rednabox.

What the heck is up with that one HF-1? The owner been rocking it so hard the wood button split?

Wish I could have made it out there for the meet but I didn't have anything interesting to add. Had I secured an electrostatic amplifier in time I would have brought it and the HE90's. Would have loved to see what the Eastsound had to offer.

I'll definitely make more of an effort for a DFW #3 meet in the future.

Alex...have you posted any impressions on the L3000 anywhere or are you still getting acquainted?

Well they just came in on Monday. Sadly they didn't make it to the meet. As of yet no impressions, but I am really liking them. The HF-1's are mine which I picked up used at a great price for my project.

-Alex-

Jan 10, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks to Alex for a great event.

Being rather new to this sort of hardware, and trying several great cans, amps and sources, I was rather upset.

My wallet will be taking a further beating and my wife will be miffed again.

Kenneth

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Great pics Rednabox.

Sound like a mini-meet at my house...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 16
Those are some great pictures!

Funny, in retrospect, I wish I had spent less time socializing and more time listening, oh well, guess I'm just a social butterfly.

Don't think I have to tell everyone I was taken by pabbi's Esound/Wheatfield HA 2/HD600 combo. I had never even heard of the Esound before, but when I got home, I researched some, and now have a whole new fascination with Chinese hi-end gear in general. Damn you!!!
etysmile.gif

Something else I was quite impressed with was that collection of clip-ons and portables cans (mostly AT's) direct from Japan. Most of them we'll probably never see here in the states.

Probably should have spent some more time with SunByrne's headroom home/dac combo too. That was quite a collection of Senns you had there too by the way!!

Was disappointed a little by the lack of turnout, I was kind of hoping to hear a "real" Dynalo, maybe a Dynahi, an M3, and a Millett Hybrid at least
orphsmile.gif
And no BeyerDynamics either. And no L3000's
very_evil_smiley.gif
Our timing was off by a couple of days.

Well, there's always next time.

Thanks everybody, we definitely should do it again!!

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by da_burl
Those are some great pictures!

Funny, in retrospect, I wish I had spent less time socializing and more time listening, oh well, guess I'm just a social butterfly.

Don't think I have to tell everyone I was taken by pabbi's Esound/Wheatfield HA 2/HD600 combo. I had never even heard of the Esound before, but when I got home, I researched some, and now have a whole new fascination with Chinese hi-end gear in general. Damn you!!!
etysmile.gif

Something else I was quite impressed with was that collection of clip-ons and portables cans (mostly AT's) direct from Japan. Most of them we'll probably never see here in the states.

Probably should have spent some more time with SunByrne's headroom home/dac combo too. That was quite a collection of Senns you had there too by the way!!

Was disappointed a little by the lack of turnout, I was kind of hoping to hear a "real" Dynalo, maybe a Dynahi, an M3, and a Millett Hybrid at least
orphsmile.gif
And no BeyerDynamics either. And no L3000's
very_evil_smiley.gif
Our timing was off by a couple of days.

Well, there's always next time.

Thanks everybody, we definitely should do it again!!

My maxed out Millett Hybrid will be built in about 1-2 weeks so next time around we will have the MH and L3000's from me.
wink.gif

-Alex-

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 16
Next time I'm bringing my own source so I don't have to mooch so much.
tongue.gif

Otherwise, it was fun! Thanks to some folks who made me feel welcome. (forgot their forum names, but I know their real ones!)

edit: woohoo, a picture of me up there
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back