Daft Punk Random Access Memories - Finally
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #16 of 59
I will start out saying that I have never been impressed with Daft Punk. Particular their previous album, Tron:Legacy, although more a soundtrack than considered as one of their actual albums, was a long tedious train wreck. This is of course just my opinion etc.

The RAM album. I must admit that I'm impressed with!  When I heard the first track "Give Life Back To Music" I felt that I had walked straight back into the late 70's. All the 70's west coast sound references, mixed with funky guitar riffs and synth.sounds from the early 80's and a smooth and slick sound recording. It is absolutely superficial and it is meant to be this way... If you want to hear Leonard Cohen,then go buy a Leonard Cohen album..  I just want to be at a pool party in California, year 1978, drinking a Pina Colada surrounded by chicks in bikinis or lesser dressed, Oh yeah and I feel like dancing...

I know that I'm just dreaming, but that's the vibe I get from this album and it is certainly not a bad thing, so I'll keep listening.

Another interesting thing about this album is that it is probably their least mainstream sounding album, compared to what is mainstream today. At one point in time the essence of the sound of RAM was actually very mainstream. So my point is that RAM their least mainstream sounding album and as things are going, probably will turn out to be their biggest commercial success. 

I personally feel that this album is some kind of a small masterpiece. In my book this means containing some sort of originality or in this case they have manage to redefine or reinvent an old sound to something better than just borrowed and blue.. 

Final words, I don't give a damn if they are R2-D2 - C3PO or not, but I do get the metaphor or their message.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #17 of 59
I bought it on vinyl and it looks great (and sounds even better). It's a unique album, and I still need to listen to it several more times before I reach a conclusion, but overall I really like it. I've always been a fan of Daft Punk, I have their previous albums on CD and vinyl. Discovery is probably my favorite of their studio albums, but Alive 2007 is, in my opinion, by far the best thing they've ever done. One of the best live albums ever recorded. I would really like to see it released on vinyl too.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #18 of 59
I love this album, I don't care what critics say. Its a real kick back to older music. I would have personally like to see an all instrumental version of the album, because I feel like they put some great beats in there. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #21 of 59
Has anyone been able to verify the origin of the 24/88 version being sold by HD Tracks?

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD886443984059

24/88 is a bit strange compared to the more common 24/96 or 24/192 (or DSD if all things were right in the world...). I'm guessing that it is the master used to cut the vinyl lacquers.

Whomever has the vinyl- can you post/read the inner groove (lead out) codes? For some reason my gut is telling me that it was mastered 24/96 for the Redbook release, then there was some bottleneck at the vinyl stage. 

Thanks

NK

EDIT- Then again, there is that great B.B. King and Eric Clapton album that was done in 24/88, DVD-A I believe... 

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 59
Their own 10 minute remix of 'Get Lucky' is now online:

http://prettymuchamazing.com/music/remixes/daft-punk-get-lucky-remix

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 59
Quote:
Has anyone been able to verify the origin of the 24/88 version being sold by HD Tracks?

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD886443984059

24/88 is a bit strange compared to the more common 24/96 or 24/192 (or DSD if all things were right in the world...). I'm guessing that it is the master used to cut the vinyl lacquers.

Whomever has the vinyl- can you post/read the inner groove (lead out) codes? For some reason my gut is telling me that it was mastered 24/96 for the Redbook release, then there was some bottleneck at the vinyl stage. 

Thanks

NK

EDIT- Then again, there is that great B.B. King and Eric Clapton album that was done in 24/88, DVD-A I believe... 

It seems that Daft recorded the album to an Amprex tape machine and digitally at the same time... I'm still wondering which medium produced the 24/88, though. 

NK

Jun 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #24 of 59
Can't believe  I didn't know of this.  The Japanese release got an extra track:

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #25 of 59
I'm really enjoying RAM as well. Still curious if the 88/24 version on HDtracks is worth the price premium though. Check out this throwback from the 70s with a little DP added in...

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #26 of 59
RAM is absolutely amazing.  I have been hooked on it since it came out!!

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 59
the 88/24 version isn't worth it IMO. sounds very similar to the other digital versions, only marginally better. makes sense as they are both the same master.

the vinyl on the other hand...lots more range, big step up in dynamics, although the low-end isn't as clean. apparently it again comes from the same master again but something doesn't add up if you check the DR readings for the different versions. you can see the 88/24 scores the same as the others...

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=daft%20punk

the 24/96 digital rip of the vinyl i have isn't the greatest, so it's kind of a trade-off in clarity vs range. but there is indeed large, audible difference to the digital editions. wish some of the better vinyl rippers out there would do a recording.

oh yeah and the album is freaking great, listened to it countless times. get lucky remix is also fantastic, easily the best version of the track :)

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:
the 88/24 version isn't worth it IMO. sounds very similar to the other digital versions, only marginally better. makes sense as they are both the same master.

the vinyl on the other hand...lots more range, big step up in dynamics, although the low-end isn't as clean. apparently it again comes from the same master again but something doesn't add up if you check the DR readings for the different versions. you can see the 88/24 scores the same as the others...

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=daft%20punk

the 24/96 digital rip of the vinyl i have isn't the greatest, so it's kind of a trade-off in clarity vs range. but there is indeed large, audible difference to the digital editions. wish some of the better vinyl rippers out there would do a recording.

oh yeah and the album is freaking great, listened to it countless times. get lucky remix is also fantastic, easily the best version of the track :)

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't spring for the HDTracks version.

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:
Can't believe  I didn't know of this.  The Japanese release got an extra track:

I'm pretty sure most of their albums give Japan an extra track or two. From what I heard Japan's CDs are more expensive than US and Europe's so they add something extra in there to make it worth it for their Eastern listeners.

As for the album, I personally loved it. Though I don't know if I like it more than Discovery or Homework. I'm not one of those people who are like, "Their earlier stuff is so much better man," but those two albums are prime listening material for me. I always jam to them so it's going to take some time before I truly know where RAM places on my list. I appreciate the new direction they went with the album compared to their past albums. It wasn't strictly House and Dance music but more like "regular" songs with some house sprinkled in for flavor. It's also their most chill album to date so that was unexpected especially with 'Get Lucky' being the single they put out the most to promote RAM. It doesn't really give you a good feel for what the album offers. But yeah definitely a great album, but I wouldn't expect much less from them. Four more years until Alive 2017 I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back