Dae Han Min Guk (South Korea) Lounge & Retailers [LISTING]
Nov 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sulkoudai

500+ Head-Fier
Instead of having 5 tiny threads or 3 posts in a 50 page thread, I thought it would be useful to have a special thread for us from or in South Korea

Manufacturers to lookout for in South Korea:

Audinst: DAC/Amp maker that is known for their great value.

Cresyn: Dirt cheap headphones that is great for backup or gift. Cresyn Reviews by ClieOS

EXS: Great value IEMs that is almost impossible to get outside Korea.   X20 review by ClieOS.

FEELS: Another great value IEMs manufacturer. You can get their Pro 900 for 35'000 Won, which is sold on Jaben for 68USD. Pro900 Thread

Shinwoo/T-PEOS: Manufacturer of the popular H-100 IEMs, they are a lot cheaper in Korea compared to eBay and even cheaper than the 'promotional price' offered to Head-Fiers by the manufacturer. H-100 Thread

Sonocore: Dual-Dynamic driver IEMs for 50 bucks.

Sony: Weirdly, their headphones are amazing cheap in Korea, both online and retail, most of the times even cheaper than those dodgy ones on eBay from China.

If you know any other brands that should be added, let me know.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 21
Retailers:

Online:
Earphoneshop: Online store of the retail store Earphoneshop; Blog Review of the shop in Korean

Hanyang HyHy: Online store of the retail store in Yongsan (full address below)  Thanks Nightmistx22

Headphone Shop

Music Capital:

Zound: Universals+Customs; Online store of SoundCat.

Retail stores:

Seoul:
Earphoneshop (Website)

Headphones Shop (Website)

Digital Code: Inside Kyobo Bookstore, Jongno Branch.

Could only take photos about 70% of the store, it wasn't very comfortable taking pictures in there.

Higher End Models (Senns, Beyers, etc) and Bluetooth/Wireless Models:

Shure 1440 and the 840s for trial:

IEMs (Sony XBA series, TDK BA Series, and other high end models):

Sports IEMs:

My lil sister trying Beats 

Hanyang HyHy (Website): Electro Land, C48,16-9. Hangangno 3-ga, Yongsan-gu.

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 21
We may need to look out for LG in the future as well. Their bundled Quadbeat IEM's for the Optimus smartphone is quite popular over there nowadays and measures quite admirably for their very low price ($20~30 I believe?) according to Goldenears, which BTW is also a Korean site if you want to add them to the list (they also have a online store I believe). Not sure if LG's developing those IEMs in house or not, though.

Also, as far as Korean manufacturers go, we cannot forget about April Music and Calyx, two of the big players in the DAC world.

On a personal note, I'll be in Korea in a week for a vacation and I'll be making my trips to Headphone shop and Earphone shop as usual for some listening at their demo stations. So much better than what's available here in Toronto to demo (which is essentially only Bay Bloor Radio...) 
o2smile.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
We may need to look out for LG in the future as well. Their bundled Quadbeat IEM's for the Optimus smartphone is quite popular over there nowadays and measures quite admirably for their very low price ($20~30 I believe?) according to Goldenears, which BTW is also a Korean site if you want to add them to the list (they also have a online store I believe). Not sure if LG's developing those IEMs in house or not, though.

Also, as far as Korean manufacturers go, we cannot forget about April Music and Calyx, two of the big players in the DAC world.

On a personal note, I'll be in Korea in a week for a vacation and I'll be making my trips to Headphone shop and Earphone shop as usual for some listening at their demo stations. So much better than what's available here in Toronto to demo (which is essentially only Bay Bloor Radio...) 
o2smile.gif

But are those 2 DAC companies cheaper in Korea?

The list of companies Ive put up arent there just because they are Korean, its because they are cheaper in Korea. (thats why Phiaton didnt make it in to the list, they are more expensive in Korea)

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
But are those 2 DAC companies cheaper in Korea?

The list of companies Ive put up arent there just because they are Korean, its because they are cheaper in Korea. (thats why Phiaton didnt make it in to the list, they are more expensive in Korea)

Ah, didn't know that you were listing in terms of value companies. 

I'd think that both are cheaper within Korea when you take into account the shipping/duty fees and such though.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

I use Interpark more, but if the seller isn't a proper seller (like SoundCat who sells stuff on Interpark), how do you get proper warranty and stuff?

SoundCat (Zound) , there's not so cheap. (expensive than gmarket, almost)
I would like to ask why you need find proper seller ?
Out of South Korea, there's no warranty.
In case of me, I'm buying many stuffs in Amazon US, If I got stuff by purchasing agency, warranty gone.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 21
At COEX there are two shops that have some decent headphone offerings:

The Sony store (close to the Burger King - 1st floor).
The a# shop (Apple reseller).

The Samsung Delight store at Gangnam station also has some decent iems in stock.

None of these come close to touching what the Earphone shop (or is it the Headphone shop) in HyeHwa offers but are worth a visit if you're in the area.

My impression is that Korea is catching up in the portable audio game. The Earphone shop now offers Rooth customs; the Sony store now has a bunch of demo headphone/iems whereas as recently as a year or two ago they didn't have any that I can remember.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 21
I was in ETLand near the Yongsan Station and the Electronics Market. The Plevel had a headphone shop named Han Yang that had many many brands. Prices didn't seem all that competitive, but its was a pretty awesome place to check out.   

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
I was in ETLand near the Yongsan Station and the Electronics Market. The Plevel had a headphone shop named Han Yang that had many many brands. Prices didn't seem all that competitive, but its was a pretty awesome place to check out.   

Thanks, I found the official website of the store and added it on the list.

thanks

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 21
Wow, That Digital Code store looks awesome. HanYang in ETLand is like a cramped basement version of Digital Code, mostly because it kinda is in a basement. Wish i had time to check out Digital Code before i leave Korea. Oh well. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 21
Last weekend in korea and had a lot of down time so i went to check out Digital Code, looked a lot bigger in the pictures, and it was a neat place. Sampled XBA 3 and 4 ( 3 sounded more natural and balanced. i think the 4s tips were too big so i couldn't get a good seal) and several other brands i never heard before.

Made a stop at Yongsan again and found the Headphone shop in the iPark Mall, can't tell you how many times i have walked by it and didn't even see it.  Really cool place has several major brands on their wall for demo. over, on and in ear headphones can be sampled just bring your own DAP. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back