Dad in search of new headphones
May 3, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And in my opinion middle age people tend to like HD650s more than other headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

That comment got me thinking: Should a choice of headphones be influenced by the fact that we progressively lose our ability to hear higher frequencies as we get older? IIRC by late middle age most people can't hear much above 15khz, and sensitivity to the 8-15khz range is progressively reduced. So does that change the appeal of cans that are notably weak or strong in the higher registers?

May 3, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You cant smile with RS2s and HD650s or 880s?

I spent too much time wondering why the sound was coming mostly from one end of the audio spectrum or the other. The 701s let me just listen and enjoy. I'm probably in the minority but I'm used to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That comment got me thinking: Should a choice of headphones be influenced by the fact that we progressively lose our ability to hear higher frequencies as we get older? IIRC by late middle age most people can't hear much above 15khz, and sensitivity to the 8-15khz range is progressively reduced. So does that change the appeal of cans that are notably weak or strong in the higher registers?

I'm 46 and I greatly appreciate the highs offered by the DT800s. They bring out high details I literally don't hear on other cans. Their bass is too "polite" for my tastes, but if I could add the DT800 treble to the K701 mids and tight bass, I'd have me a headphone.

I also added a couple of extra tweeters to my car stereo to get the highs prominent enough and I've had people ask me why the sound is so bright. So yeah, age does nasty things to your ears. Why not? Age does nasty things to everything else.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back