DACT vs GOLDPOINT attenuators --->
Feb 1, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna throw this out here if anyone's considering the PGA route - you don't need control from a microcontroller. The datasheet outlines how to use a couple pushbuttons to do it. Of course, this won't let you use presets, fading, and all those other fancy features, but if you want simple up/down control it's hard to beat the simplicity.

which pga's support hardware mode? I thought they needed cpu data to get them to work.

there's an older ds1802 that used up/down click buttons (rotary encoder that is pulsed) and also supports software mode.

pga2311 (which is the base config that I've used) has only an SPI style interface. or am I missing something?

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually, there are some where this isn't the case, you just have to hunt around.

you mean the ones from ebay have their gains fixed?

wink.gif
wink.gif

or, you wanna just TELL us, maybe?

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #33 of 53
I apologize, it wasn't a PGA - it was a digital potentiometer. It's been awhile so I'm getting the datasheets mixed up in my head. That would explain why you can't "set" the volume, only increase and decrease. I'll find the exact model of digital pot if anyone wants to know, but I think they should all behave roughly the same.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #35 of 53
Just get the Goldpoint, at the end of the day it is simple and mechanical, it cannot really fail.

I have a relay based job and not only does the sound of several relays clicking get annoying, there are also slight pops through the speakers. This is of course dependant on kit/source/general build and may not effect everyone but it is something to be aware of.

I have the balanced Goldpoint and it feels superb, it is quite tight in use and with a big knob fitted it results in a very satisfying control. Each step goes home with a well defined clunk and there is no noise between steps, it is properly silent.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I apologize, it wasn't a PGA - it was a digital potentiometer. It's been awhile so I'm getting the datasheets mixed up in my head. That would explain why you can't "set" the volume, only increase and decrease. I'll find the exact model of digital pot if anyone wants to know, but I think they should all behave roughly the same.

again, the ds1802 comes to mind. and it has a harsh limit of about 2.5v max input before it clips. that makes it a PITA to use (have to atten before using it for many sources).

here's one that I built up using pushbuttons:

2729122577_4a36fc84a3.jpg

quite a long time ago, too
wink.gif

and the circuit idea:

Pedja Rogic Audio Pages - DS1802 Silicon Potentiometer

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #37 of 53
My 2¢ is that if I'm going to use a stepper I use DACT because I can get them from Headamp for ~15% cheaper than Goldpoint and I like the super compact form factor.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by AffeX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a link to these on another thread:
High Quality Audio & Industrial Attenuators

Anyone tried them or having any experience with them, cause they do look really nice?!?

Vaporware, for the most part. A very small handful have made it out into the wild, but it is a very risky purchase.

Feb 2, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by AffeX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a link to these on another thread:
High Quality Audio & Industrial Attenuators

Anyone tried them or having any experience with them, cause they do look really nice?!?

I am not sure I would want to pay the price for such pretty components that would be hidden inside a case. I guess that would require me to make an acrylic case.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #43 of 53
Dact and Goldpoint both are very transparent with no sound of their own, except goldpoints claims to have best sounding 24 steps attenuators(intentially comparing to Dact?) because they are... transparent. Seems odd.

http://www.dact.com/html/about_dact.html  -   fi 
second last paragraph.

http://www.goldpt.com/compare.html 
middle of page.

Headamp.com and ebay(real) sells stereo Dact attenuators cheaper than Goldpoint, price and feel is no issue to me, I want the best sounding.

http://www.goldpt.com/attenuator%20types.html 
On top of page, they state their series attenuators are better than ladder or shunt because of spectacular resistors.

Can someone unbiased shed light on this subject? Is Goldpoint truly better? How minor or significant will the sound quality improvements(excluding channel matching) be from potentiometer to stepped attenuator?

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #45 of 53
Check out Khozmo attenuators, lots of resistor options Allen Bradley, PRP, Vishay PTF, Takmans REY, Vishay "nude" Z-foil and Caddock.
If you want to pay premium and believe in the virtues of exotic parts I would choose these over both Dact and Goldpoint. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back