DACs with PCM1792?
Dec 22, 2006 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Alucard

100+ Head-Fier
Are there any DACs that have the PCM1792?
I have searched but didn't find any, except for some high-end cd-players.
The specs seems really good. Or is there better dac-chips?

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 13
I looked at Bel Canto's website, sems to be a good dac but a little to expensive for me.

But I didn't know that Opera had the PCM1794. Quite good.

I also found this. http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....lay&1167104100

Seems to have the PCM1792.

As only the most expensive gear uses the PCM1792 what does it cost anyway?

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Hmm, then can I ask why only $2000+ gear uses it?

Kinda weird I'd say.

Looks like a very cheap upgrade.

Dec 23, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, then can I ask why only $2000+ gear uses it?

2000% markup?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 13
You don't know much if you think the DAC chip is all that you need for good sound. My DAC uses PCM1794, but it also has about 80 other components, as well. Also, the chips are $10 when you buy them in the 1000s. A single PCM1794 from digikey will set you back about $18. I'm not saying $2000 is a bargain, but I am saying that you can't assume it is a direct proportion to the cost of the chips used. That's simply not the case.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 13
I was looking around for DACs and found a DAC that was released this year by the same guy who designed the Yulong Crystal DAC that has an overseas version using PCM1794 and has an extra optical in. It's selling for 1600RMB now.
Erji thread on it
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=225920&fpage=1

The local version seems to be using PCM1798 from his shop here for 1200RMB
http://auction1.taobao.com/auction/1...1782983d.jhtml

This one really caught my interest so I'm trying to find more info on it.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Ok so there are some "cheap" dacs out there that has it.

I'm not gonna ask you to much questions about your dac dusty_v, as if I do then maybe the Mod's will get angry with you for promoting your stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think that's allowed (or is it?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't know much if you think the DAC chip is all that you need for good sound. My DAC uses PCM1794, but it also has about 80 other components, as well. Also, the chips are $10 when you buy them in the 1000s. A single PCM1794 from digikey will set you back about $18. I'm not saying $2000 is a bargain, but I am saying that you can't assume it is a direct proportion to the cost of the chips used. That's simply not the case.

Yea, I know there is other parts in a DAC than just the dac chip. But even if it costs $18 against $8 for another chips (maybe?) then that cost is very small I think If the whole DAC costs several hundred dollars to buy. If youre not using several chips that is.
But I could be wrong though, as I'm not an expert on DACs.

Dec 24, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Yea, I know there is other parts in a DAC than just the dac chip. But even if it costs $18 against $8 for another chips (maybe?) then that cost is very small I think If the whole DAC costs several hundred dollars to buy. If youre not using several chips that is.
But I could be wrong though, as I'm not an expert on DACs.

The cost of the DAC chip has little to do with the cost of the overall product.
The average DAC product takes at least 100 parts to make up the power supply, input receiver, and analog stage circuits, then a custom printed circuit board, chassis, hardware, jacks, switches, packaging, etc. A manufacturer also has to recoup the design and development costs, which can add up to a lot of labor and testing (hours). The power supply, pcb layout, analog stage etc, are equally important to the overall sound/performance as the DAC IC itself.

Quote:

Ok so there are some "cheap" dacs out there that has it.
I'm not gonna ask you to much questions about your dac dusty_v, as if I do then maybe the Mod's will get angry with you for promoting your stuff.
I don't think that's allowed (or is it?).

I would assume they want you to ask us directly by email or phone...I know they frown upon manufacturers using the forums for advertisement purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back