DACs with digital volume control
Jul 20, 2015 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

goobicii

100+ Head-Fier
please,name R2R dacs with digital volume controls that doesnt degrade sound quality trough loss of bits that have music information

I know only these two,TotalDac uses 69bit volume control and DaVinci from lightharmonic something similiar but less bits,like 60

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #2 of 11
  please,name R2R dacs with digital volume controls that doesnt degrade sound quality trough loss of bits that have music information

I know only these two,TotalDac uses 69bit volume control and DaVinci from lightharmonic something similiar but less bits,like 60

Please provide the results of reliable listening tests that show that any good modern DAC with good bandpass over the normal audio band causes sound quality loss.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 11

Please provide the results of reliable listening tests that show that any good modern DAC with good bandpass over the normal audio band causes sound quality loss.

I dont claim schiit,what have bandpass to do with digital volume control?  I am not betting my testicles on it but I reed many times that analog volume control degrades sound and that normal digital volume control cuts bits off when not at max value,this may all be wrong and I am ready to get corrected 
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 11
"lost bits" is a bad heuristic - all microphones, recordings, playback electronics have a Analog noise floor - human hearing has a noise floor, your room has noise, you can't even hear as deep into the human noise limit while wearing headphones

and for a good understanding of noise specs, audio consequences it helps to add in frequency to the description since human hearing has considerable frequency response variation for noise threshold

as far as Psychoacoustics has tested there is a limit below which added noise, even correlated quantization becomes inaudible

24 bits is already way more than needed for keeping lsb, quantization effects below the analog noise, your hearing limits in any reasonable gain structure system

the basic audio DAC function doesn't necessarily have any volume control - mostly done in digital processing in front of the DAC, with today's high integration, upsampling  processing on the chip some digital volume control is often built in but commonly doesn't have sufficiently fine step size to avoid "zipper noise"

digital volume control in your digital source software should be done with adequate resolution and dither - but 32 bits may be used just because that's a common modern processor/standard computer math word size

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 11
so what is best way to control volume? why does the Vincent Brient from TotalDac bothered to make 69bit volume control,is it just hype and marketing BS or ?? I have big respect for that frenchman

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 11
  I dont claim schiit,what have bandpass to do with digital volume control?  I am not betting my testicles on it but I reed many times that analog volume control degrades sound and that normal digital volume control cuts bits off when not at max value,this may all be wrong and I am ready to get corrected 
smile.gif

One can read all kinds of false crap on the web, and posts that mention "digital volume controls that doesn't degrade sound quality trough loss of bits that have music information" suggests to me excess influence by such crappy sources.

All volume controls, whether digital or analog inherently degrade sound quality though loss of music information.

Analog volume controls cause loss of information by forcing music down into the analog noise floor and this noise floor can only be reduced so far and at great expense.

A properly designed digital volume control causes a very similar loss of information by forcing music down into the noise floor but the noise floor in the digital domain can be reduced arbitrarily as low as is desired quite economically.

A badly designed digital volume control can in theory cut off bits, but even this is limited in practical use by the inherent and relatively high noise from natural sources in recordings.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 11
  so what is best way to control volume? why does the Vincent Brient from TotalDac bothered to make 69bit volume control,is it just hype and marketing BS or ?? I have big respect for that frenchman

69 bit volume control? That's definitely marketing. Realistically, you do want 24 bit rather than 16 if you plan to use digital volume control extensively, but 24 bit is more than sufficient.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 11
Is it true that when you control volume in analog way like for example Benchmark DAC2 HGC its better than digital volume control like in Auralic Vega becose you push noise floor down while digital volume control push down only music signal but noise floor remains same,Vincent from totaldac says digital volume control is best,others say analog is best,what is your opinion

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 11

Probably because it's $12k, and if it doesn't have a 69-bit FPGA inside it, people are going to get suspicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back