Dacs: Used CORDA DACCORD FF (Meier) or new Modi 3
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Relic123

New Head-Fier
Title ^^

I can get the dacs for around the same price, what would be ideal? Please share if you have had any experinces with mentioned dacs, sound signature changes etc. Mainly using the HD800S and Beyer dt990.

People are welcome to suggest other dacs of course. Besides the main point of improving the overall sound in my setup, I'm also looking for a little warmer sound signature, if dacs actually color the sound.

First upgrade, but how true would the statement that all dacs basically sound the same be according to you?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 3
Daccord FF doesn’t sound really any different than normal Daccord. Both run the same filters and such. The FF technology makes a much bigger difference with the Meier Audio amps rather than the DACs. Save money and go with Modi 3 or for a middle ground pick up the SMSL-SU8

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 3
I can get the dacs for around the same price, what would be ideal? Please share if you have had any experinces with mentioned dacs, sound signature changes etc. Mainly using the HD800S and Beyer dt990

If the DACcord wouldn't cost that much more than the Modi3 even if you're comparing new to used then get the Meier. That has a preamp output and some Crossfeed settings. Even if you don't end up using them better to have them in case you do if it wouldn't cost a lot more.

Modi and Modi2 were a little bit harsher at the top end vs the USB input of my Cantate.2 also. Not that bad but I'd stick with my built in DAC, and tonally it was close to the sound of the Arcam CD72, just with a smaller soundstage, which is why I'm still using it instead of upgrading the DAC.

Daccord FF doesn’t sound really any different than normal Daccord. Both run the same filters and such. The FF technology makes a much bigger difference with the Meier Audio amps rather than the DACs. Save money and go with Modi 3 or for a middle ground pick up the SMSL-SU8

HF03.png

If he's not paying MSRP or near that for the DACcord the added features could be useful down the line. If he doesn't use Crossfeed he can end up using the preamp output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back