DACs optimized for particular sample rate?
Apr 9, 2007 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Stephen_Ri

100+ Head-Fier
Often discussions come up about up/oversampling. It is clear that doing so by integer multiples (i.e. 2x44.1=88.2) should create less CPU load and sound artifacting; but, my question is this: do certain DACs prefer a certain input sampling rate? I'm still using the Chaintech AV-710 with Wolfston output. I went KS with 44.1 for a while, then decided to try oversampling to 88.2 with foobar SRC plugin (best-sync interpolation). Now I'm wondering if I should set SRC to 96k, in case the DAC is actually optimized to receive that sample rate. Any thoughts?

Stephen

edit: I've been looking around online for answers to this question. I've found my DAC's schematic here: http://freenet-homepage.de/kxdev/docs/codecs/wm8728.pdf page 14 is of interest. Does anyone know if there's any variance in quality among these different corresponding modes? For instance, does the DAC do a better job at 768fs than 192fs, suggesting that 48 khz might be converted to analog better than 192 khz, or does it work equally well among all these modes? I'm guessing that, since it does use a sample rate detection circuit which automatically switches to the optimum master clock, that 88.2 kHz @ 384 kHz is still going to be my best bet. Insights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back