DACs make my head spin. Help! Audio-GD NFB2 or 3 or HDP or DACmagic or ?
Aug 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

debitsohn

Headphoneus Supremus
I was gonna post in another post but i didnt want to hijack the thread.  Im in the market for a new DAC potentially and would like it to be less than $500.  Ones that caught my interest are the ones listed in the title.  Can someone help?

1.  Whats the difference between the NFB 2 and 3.  I saw the description on the site but i have no idea what theyre talking about.  Which is better? why is the 3 only $300? so confused!
2.  whats a better DAC between the 4 listed in the title?

It will be paired (most likely) with a Schiit Valhalla and a T1.  But as this hobby goes, ill probably have something completely different by next month.
beerchug.gif

any help is greatly, greatly appreciated!

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 3
NFB-3 is limited production and promo priced.

[size=x-small]The NFB-3 also applied most high end parts, like DALE and Vishay resistors , NOVER caps[/size]

This means the NFB-3 uses mostly high end parts, but not as often as NFB-2 parts

[size=x-small]the most different  as follow
1, The NFB-3 applied 2 groups [/size]
[size=x-small]class A parallel connection PSU supplied for analog output stage, (the analog output stage power supply is much important, so we keep the [/size] [size=x-small]2 groups [/size] [size=x-small]class A parallel connection PSU here). Another 5 groups linear PSUs supplied for other parts. The NFB-2 applied 6 groups class A parallel connection PSU for whole gear, and one linear PSU for the control parts.[/size]

This means NFB-3 has a smaller psu than the NFB-2.

[size=x-small]2, The NFB-3 applied [/size] [size=x-small]a circularity core transformer, the NFB-2 applied a R core transformer.[/size]

This means NFB-3 has a worse transformer than the NFB-2.

[size=x-small]3, The NFB-3 applied most EVOX caps, the NFB-2 applied most WIMA caps. On other parts, NFB-2 had extra same with the NFB-3.[/size]

This means NFB-3 has well, EVOX capacitors instead of WIMA capacitors. And on parts not described here, they are mostly the same.

If you asked me which one to get... well of course I'd get the cheaper one with the promo price because I'm cheap :). If audio-gd thinks so highly of the wm8741 that they would effectively replace the $480 dac19df with it, then the wm8741 dac chip must be something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back