DAC's driving my Monolith liquid platinum
Mar 7, 2022 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
I got stuff to audition. I plan to keep the Monolith Liquid Platinum. I Plan on choosing from Hugo, IDSD Pro Signature or X26 Pro. I know these DAC'S are 2 to 4 times the price of my amp. Which is the opposite of the way people usually do things. They all sound incredible to me and I cannot choose. I was wondering if I should try a cheaper DAC for the heck of it. Money matters to me. I also am aware that the amp has a greater influence on sound. Have I in fact out-DAC'd my amp here? If so, could anyone make a generic recommendation of what I should be looking at please? I know the Monolith is good, but I am not convinced that it warrants DAC's of this caliber. I could be very wrong too.

In that case, out of my three choices what would you folks pick? They honestly sound awesome to me. Albeit, very slightly different. These are very competent amps. My headphones are the K872 and ZR1, which I am most certainly sticking with. They both have balanced cables. I am so happy with the sound regardless. I would enjoy saving money if it is likely not to disappoint me though. I figured the DAC is perhaps where I could get by doing so. I absolutely do not wish to interrupt this lovely sound I am hearing however.

Mar 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 4
I got stuff to audition. I plan to keep the Monolith Liquid Platinum. I Plan on choosing from Hugo, IDSD Pro Signature or X26 Pro. I know these DAC'S are 2 to 4 times the price of my amp. Which is the opposite of the way people usually do things. They all sound incredible to me and I cannot choose. I was wondering if I should try a cheaper DAC for the heck of it. Money matters to me. I also am aware that the amp has a greater influence on sound. Have I in fact out-DAC'd my amp here? If so, could anyone make a generic recommendation of what I should be looking at please? I know the Monolith is good, but I am not convinced that it warrants DAC's of this caliber. I could be very wrong too.

In that case, out of my three choices what would you folks pick? They honestly sound awesome to me. Albeit, very slightly different. These are very competent amps. My headphones are the K872 and ZR1, which I am most certainly sticking with. They both have balanced cables. I am so happy with the sound regardless. I would enjoy saving money if it is likely not to disappoint me though. I figured the DAC is perhaps where I could get by doing so. I absolutely do not wish to interrupt this lovely sound I am hearing however.
All I can say is I am super happy with my AresII DAC and Jotunheim 2 amp!

20220220_105818_HDR.jpg

Mar 7, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, that is what I mean. You have a pretty decent amp and a very cheap DAC. I think the amp makes most of the sound signature. I wonder if I would really notice to a huge extent if I swap out for like a SMSL SU9N. That is still a pretty good DAC I think. I would like to know if I should try that or don't bother?

Mar 7, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Szore, I see that you in fact had owned a Monolith Liquid Platinum. Why did you get rid of it in lieu of a perhaps lesser amp? I am assuming due to subjectivity which is a fine answer. Could you please provide me with any advice as to which amp("s) I might pair with it? I would like the best sound I could get. Without causing my amp to then become a bottleneck. I am pretty sure that it is customary to spend more on one's amp than DAC I have no clue what the sweetspot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back