DACs, Dolby Digital, DTS & headphones
Nov 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BladeHeat

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I have a few questions regarding DACs and surround sound.

I'd like to make my Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 output DD/ DTS so I can play with my headphones. I know I need something with Dolby Headphones, like The JVC & AstroMix amp.
The thing is, can I use a external DAC with that set up? It would look like this:

Xbox 360 digital out ----> external DAC ----> JVC SU-DH1 ---> Amplifier ---> Headphones

Would that setup work? Will I still get surround sound with that? Does the JVC act as some sort of DAC, making the external DAC useless? Would the SQ be much better with the external DAC than with only the JVC?

thanks for your time guys!

Nov 13, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 4
What is the DAC doing there, lol??

The JVC/mixamp would be the dac. IF you don't chat on your console, than the jvc is the better choice as it would give you DTS from ps3, while you'd need to set the ps3 to set dolby with mixamp.
If you chat and you don't have kinect or something like that, mixamp is a must. 

depending on your headphones you may not need an amp if you go with mixamp as it outputs 70 mw at 32 ohm.

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I have a few questions regarding DACs and surround sound.

I'd like to make my Xbox 360 / Playstation 3 output DD/ DTS so I can play with my headphones. I know I need something with Dolby Headphones, like The JVC & AstroMix amp.
The thing is, can I use a external DAC with that set up? It would look like this:

Xbox 360 digital out ----> external DAC ----> JVC SU-DH1 ---> Amplifier ---> Headphones

Would that setup work? Will I still get surround sound with that? Does the JVC act as some sort of DAC, making the external DAC useless? Would the SQ be much better with the external DAC than with only the JVC?

thanks for your time guys!

Nov 14, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
What is the DAC doing there, lol??

beyersmile.png

I thought, for some reason, that I could make the JCV / Mixamp only decode the DTS / DD to DH, sending the signal, digitally, to another DAC, that could do a better job at it. I guess I was wrong. Way wrong.
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

Quote:

The JVC/mixamp would be the dac. IF you don't chat on your console, than the jvc is the better choice as it would give you DTS from ps3, while you'd need to set the ps3 to set dolby with mixamp.
If you chat and you don't have kinect or something like that, mixamp is a must. 

depending on your headphones you may not need an amp if you go with mixamp as it outputs 70 mw at 32 ohm

Yeah, I've read about the difference between the two. Probably going with the JVC, since I don't need chat.

thanks mcnoiserdc !

Nov 14, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 4
well your thought isn't bad at all, but the problem is that these dolby decoder dacs don't output a digital signal.

Well jvc is a little hard to get...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back