DACs: Buy mid or save and shoot for the top?
Sep 20, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by datura647 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it true that a balanced source isn't necessary to get all the benefits from balanced drive? What I mean is some balanced headphone amps convert a non balanced input signal to a fully balanced output to the headphones

Every conversion process means using more components in the signal chain, which affects the sound. All unbalanced to balanced circuits I have come across use an opamp for the conversion. Most of those opamps are at the bottom of the pile in terms of performance. So is it worth it?
I don't use balanced, and don't have a noisy system or 100 meter cable runs to justify balanced. IMHO a short run balanced system is inferior to a short run unbalanced,brought about by the same circuit that converts unbalanced to balanced.

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No... If one device in the chain is unbalanced, then essentially the whole system is unbalanced; it's only as good as the weakest link. At least, that's my understanding of it.

not quite true either. well-designed balanced amp will convert the unbalanced input to balanced, thus you still get all the benefit of balanced drive, you just loose a little bit of noise cancellation going from the source to the amp, which in most case is nothing (assuming you are running decent RCA cable that's not too long).
k1000smile.gif

ok..let me add 1more - most well designed balanced amp do not use opamp for conversion
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #18 of 23
Hummm the hot tenderness of Tubes!
If we take the question the other way around, do you think an SE amp might find some benefit being supported by a balanced DAC? I don't believe so but i ain't a pro on the question.

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hummm the hot tenderness of Tubes!
If we take the question the other way around, do you think an SE amp might find some benefit being supported by a balanced DAC? I don't believe so but i ain't a pro on the question.

no definitely not, if the amp is single ended then you will only be outputtiing the 0 phase from the DAC, the other half (180phase) of balanced operation is not used so there is no need to have a balanced source.

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #21 of 23
i'm in the same position you are ezer, sans the 650s and thus the immediate interest in any balanced set up.
i looked at all the dacs you mention, and seriously considered a couple of them, but am now leaning to the nos side of the debate.
using a computer as transport like yourself, i want to smooth out the 'digitalness' from my music files.
that's just me.
but there are a lot of less expensive options and alternatives to those most oft mentioned around here.
who knows, you might even like the sound better while saving a few hundred dollars.
that's what i'm hoping to do, anyways.
i think the cost to performance ratio is sometimes real, sometimes sketchy, and other times pure illusion.
the $1000 dacs you mention are pretty well recieved here from what i can gather, but they have just as many detractors as any other product out there.
i suggest trying to discuss the sound you are after, rather than an arbitrary dollar figure that segregates the dacs based on sticker price instead of their more important sonic characteristics.

but then again, what the hell do i know?

peace.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #22 of 23
I agree PhaedrusX. Whatever DAC I end up buying will be a shot in the dark pretty much, as there is no option to sample either the DAC1 or DA10 around here.

I also briefly considered getting the Presonus Central Station that seemed to be receiving quite a bit of praise in a past thread. But drawing upon my previous buying patterns and experiences, I feel that settling for something else rather than getting what I was truly interested in in the first place would only cost me more money in the long run (the whole buy/selling upgraditis thing).

As for the sound I am after, I really enjoy the warm signature sound of the HD650s. However I have no idea what to expect if the new DAC made the sound even warmer, or if the DAC was known for its clarity and brightness, took too much warmth away from the 650s. No amount of reviews or opinions I read in the end will tell me if I'll enjoy either DAC more, so I'll just save up and take a leap of faith when the time comes.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #23 of 23
fair enough Ezer.
i probably should have mentioned that i will be using grados, which are quite different from your sennheisers.
my needs will probably differ from yours.
and i agree that you should save up for something that you really want to try, rather than taking intermediary steps to get there.
no sense in making a purchase when there will always be a nagging voice in the back of your mind wondering if you shouldn't have gone the extra mile.
i'll soon be taking a leap of faith, as well.
good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back