DAC's and Studio Monitor Volume Control
Jul 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NAWilson9

New Head-Fier
I have been looking into DAC's recently and have a few questions about volume control. Currently my sub is connected to my desktop with a dual 1/4" to 3.5mm cable. I am obviously able to control the volume via Window's volume mixer. If I get a dac like the Schiit Modi, will I still be able to control the volume in Windows but with the device's mixer or is it simply a line out and is unchangeable? Say I got the Magni/Modi combo, would the output from the Magni, not being line level, hurt my KRK 10s? I figured that the output from my computer isn't line level so it should be ok; as long as it isn't amplified by a receiver or something?

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 4
It will just be another audio device that windows can see and control with the mixer.  I don't know about the Schiit Modi, but as long as your volume setting isn't too crazy it should be ok.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 4
All these devices are designed to a standard.

So if you have the gain on max in your application and also in Windows mixer then even if the recorded source level has been set to the 'loudest' possible (it almost certainly has) a well designed DAC should be able to cope.

Same story with the input to your speakers. Max signal out from your DAC/mixer or whatever should play without distortion even with the gain set on unity. It probably wont though on pop or dance. Anyway you will not want it that loud. Even if you are not worried about hearing damage your neighbours probably are.

Which brings us to another issue. Powered near field monitors are generally designed pro or semi pro use. There is an individual gain control on the rear of each unit. This is obviously inconvenient and users are expected to control gain via a mixer or, more usually these days, a suitable audio interface. You can still use a mouse and windows if you like but it's fiddly and slow.

So before you buy a basic consumer hi-fi grade DAC like the Modi take a look at a proper pro or prosumer audio interface. This will almost certainly come with separate gain controls for line and headphone output which will be conveniently situated close by on your desktop.

For little more than the cost of a Modi/Magni combo you can get something like the Focusrite Scarlet 2i4. Which not only solves the 'handy volume knob' question it also offers analogue line ins for your other gear, pro balanced connection (+6dB, isolation from interference), MIDI, a powerful effects/EQ package and the option of two separate stereo line outs. Which you will soon find indispensable.

http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i4/specifications

There is a huge range of suitable units at all price points. Take a look here.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=usb_audio_interfaces&oa=pra

Aug 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies. Originally I was going to get the Asus Essence STX but then I started looking at external DAC's. I don't mind controlling the volume with the Windows Volume mixer as I have a keyboard with media keys; which is why I wanted to make sure I could do that with an external DAC. I very briefly looked at the audio interfaces but I will have to look at them again. I'm starting to think that they offer the same sound quality as a similarly priced "Audiophile" dac, but with more features (I'll have to do some research). I also like the balanced outputs. I don't have any other other gear right now but I would like to get a midi keyboard eventually. The interface is making more and more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back