DACs, AMPs, DAC/AMPs, Receivers, Oh My...
Aug 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Surreal.

100+ Head-Fier
If this thread is in the wrong sub-forum, feel free to move it to the right one.

Having been a portable user since I joined, I am now making the transition to full size/desktop audio. But need some guidance because there is so much more to it than I thought. Overwhelming, really..

Anyways, I have a DT880 (2005/250) on the way from a Head-Fi'er that I traded with a few days ago. Realizing that I only have portable equipment to go off of, I need to invest in some desktop equipment that can properly power this set as well as future sets. I am hoping in the future to acquire a set of Pro 900s and a K702. So I need to get something that can upgrade and be scalable without too much of a loss in the long run.

The models I have been looking at on one side have been the Matrix Mini-I, HiFiMan EF2, Maverick D1, and the Aune DAC/AMP. As you can see my budget is around $250. I included the Mini-I because I heard for the price it is a really good value and can stand up with other units costing a few hundred more.

I understand that the beyers really like tubes, not sure about the K702 or Pro900, so I was also digging some stuff up on tube amps. I was interested in the Little Dot MKIII, DarkVoice 336i, Matrix M-Stage, or any other LD for that matter. Then there the VDAC, various soundcards, etc for the DAC component.

On the other hand I have a few receivers. But have no idea if they can provide the proper headphone power to efficiently amp a headphone. I have the Panasonic SA-HT920 and a Samsung HT-SK5 around the house. I've read a bunch of threads where some say any receiver but vintage ones use crappy opamp circuits for their headphone terminal while a read a few other threads where it was found (argued) that many (most) are using resistors off of the main amp, etc. Do you think any of the these receivers can do the job effectively?

So my question is, what would be the most worthwhile solution? In the DAC/AMP I'm splitting my budget between components and would probably have (or, want :wink: to upgrade in the future and wouldn't really get much value out of the unit. Now, I was thinking what if I got just a nice entry tube amp to power the beyers (hopefully the others too) and eventually get a DAC if I found one was necessary. Then it would prove to be more scalable and give me more value as well as a better amp than in the DAC/AMP combo. But I know here, people aren't too fond of the onboard sound. (I haven't heard better, so who knows I might be too some day.) Can an amp be run with using onboard with good results?

If you had to power that set of beyers would you go DAC/AMP for $250, DAC (or soundcard) for $250 + receiver, or AMP for $250 + onboard knowing that eventually I can get a AMP or DAC to complement each respective component that was previously bought or is the current quality not worth it enough and would rather opt for a $250 DAC/AMP that can give me a decent component for each.

Or is there maybe a DAC/AMP like mentioned that has a above average/surprisingly good component (either DAC or AMP) that can not only give me both components needed but also allow me to just add on an AMP or DAC later depending on which one is the weaker component.

Phew.. that was a a lot to say.

Anyways, I hope someone that's been in this position; I'm sure there has been, that can comment on what path they chose to follow and how its worked out for them. Or just any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 6
I'm now in your position, currently planning to buy a DAC/AMP combo. Maybe it's ot the optimal sonic choice, but...i can always sell the DAC/AMP if my ears really need more (which i'm not sure). There seems to be great combos out there like the Audio-gd Sparrow or Audio-gd FUN (note that i have Senns HD650, so i'm less tube inclined) that can be reused later as only DAc or only Amp solutions.

But..i'm a newbie too so don't take me very seriously.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Cool, I'm glad I'm not the only one. 

I just want to know if it's even worth to amp the onboard (ALC889A) output, with say a Little Dot MKIII or Matrix M-Stage. It wouldn't make sense but weighing it against a $250 DAC/Amp might change somethings, is a DAC better than no DAC when you consider the packaged amp vs the standalone amp?

If I do end up going the combo route I'll just do what you said and sell it whenever I get bitten by the upgrade bug again. But then there's question if any of the one's I listed can even properly power a beyer (2005) or AKG. I really like the Mini-I, EF2 and D1. Just not sure if they have enough juice to warrant the purchase over one of the amps mentioned above.

Can anyone give their thoughts on this? 

Maybe I'm just over thinking things, haha. But I would like someone to weigh in just a little. 

Quote:

Audio-gd Sparrow or Audio-gd FUN 

Are those the two that you are considering? 

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, I'm considering Audio-gd sparrow and Yulong dah1 MarkII, but i'm still researching.

Anyway, if you need more feedback i'll suggest to post in the headphone forum, much more people there i feel, and your post is about feeding a DT880 so i think it will be ok.

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi,
Which is the better copulation;  AMB mini3 amp+Nuforce uDac /  Valve Class V2 tube amplifier+Gamma-1 DAC or something else comination? (for Akg K242HD)
I would use to pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back