DACmini + HE-500 vs HA-160D + LCD-2
Mar 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

scottv50

100+ Head-Fier
I have narrowed down my choices for my next purchase to the following two dac/amps;

CEntrance DACmini
Burson HA-160D

and the following two headphones;

HiFiman HE-500
Audez'e LCD-2

My journey so far has been DACport + Sennheiser HD-650 and then I added the Alessandro MSi which I prefer over the HD-650 for pure energy, but like the HD-650 for the smoothness. Am looking to find something that combines the best qualities of the HD-650 and the MS1i but at the same time recognise I should probably also upgrade my DAC/Amp to drive these new headphones.

My main music preference is classic rock of the AC/DC, Van Halen, Def Leppard kind, but also like Collective Soul, Green Day and Third Eye Blind which is a little more modern.

I know the HA-160D + LCD-2 combination is going to be more expensive, so please rule out any price comparisons. Just comment on the hardware combination in relation to my goals.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 11
I've never tried the Burson before, but as an avid listener of Van Halen, Collective Soul and Green Day I can say that LCD-2 in general sounds great for those :)

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 11

DacMini has a few undesirable traits - namely :-

Output Impedance

25 Ohms (Line output); 10 Ohm (Headphone output) **

Output Power

1.5W (total), drives 32...600 Ohm headphones

Max Output level*

+13.5dBV (32 Ohms load)

+18.6dBV (300 Ohms load)

+19.0dBV (600 Ohms load)

* Listening to IEMs or other high sensitivity headphones at maximum level may damage your hearing.

** Headphone output impedance of 1 Ohm is available as a mod

10ohm output impedance may play with the LCD2's frequency response, but they do offer a 1 ohm output
 as a mod.

Sketchy details on the head amp section also raises the real possibility that it will not drive the big planars
 with authority. 

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I have narrowed down my choices for my next purchase to the following two dac/amps;

CEntrance DACmini
Burson HA-160D

and the following two headphones;

HiFiman HE-500
Audez'e LCD-2

My journey so far has been DACport + Sennheiser HD-650 and then I added the Alessandro MSi which I prefer over the HD-650 for pure energy, but like the HD-650 for the smoothness. Am looking to find something that combines the best qualities of the HD-650 and the MS1i but at the same time recognise I should probably also upgrade my DAC/Amp to drive these new headphones.

My main music preference is classic rock of the AC/DC, Van Halen, Def Leppard kind, but also like Collective Soul, Green Day and Third Eye Blind which is a little more modern.

I know the HA-160D + LCD-2 combination is going to be more expensive, so please rule out any price comparisons. Just comment on the hardware combination in relation to my goals.

Disclaimer :  I am currently selling my Dacmini as I got a Decware mini torii and found I tend not to use the dacmini much anymore. Ok got that out of the way heh, below you will find my 2 cents.

Hey bud I wanted to let you know that I have the dacmini cx stock unit and have a really great results with my lcd-2v1.  I found the amp in the Centrance to have plenty of power to use with the LCD-2.  There is a thread about the dacmini and you will read that many have had good results with it pairing with the LCD-2.  I did find it not to be so great with my iem's though.

I Think the lcd-2 are great for a all rounder headphone, at least to me they are. I have had the HE-500 for the last week n half and even though it is a great headphone I found I enjoy the LCD-2.  The HE-500 does have a wider soundstage but for me the LCD-2 v1 had a little better natural sound.  It was not like night and difference but for my I pefer the LCD2.  I did find that the Dacmini had to have the volume knob a little higher to drive the HE-500 but to me it did not really make them sing like the Dacmini and LCD-2 combo.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search bud

Tink97

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 11
I've actually tried the DacMini with the HE-500. They are excellent together. The DacMini drives them just fine, and has very good detail as well as good synergy. I personally prefer the HE-500 to the LCD-2, but there are many people who disagree.  It really comes down to personal taste, as they are both great headphones.

I haven't heard the Burson.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 11
Yep both headphones the He-500 and LCD-2 are great headphones as barleyguy said its just personal taste heh.  There are some excellent threads about both headphones that have a wealth of reviews about them.

good luck in your search

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Yep both headphones the He-500 and LCD-2 are great headphones as barleyguy said its just personal taste heh.  There are some excellent threads about both headphones that have a wealth of reviews about them.

good luck in your search

Yep have been doing lots of searches and have found some great information. To be honest my biggest worry about the HE-500 at this stage is build quality.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 11
How about the Dacmini with the LCD-2s? Thats a good combo in my experience, better ambiance than the Burson and LCD-2. Between the He-500 and the LCD-2s, I have to say get the Audez'e. The hifiman is more neutral and has better more articulate treble but the LCD-2 just engages you in the music and thus it would be my choice.

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
How about the Dacmini with the LCD-2s? Thats a good combo in my experience, better ambiance than the Burson and LCD-2. Between the He-500 and the LCD-2s, I have to say get the Audez'e. The hifiman is more neutral and has better more articulate treble but the LCD-2 just engages you in the music and thus it would be my choice.

Possibly, but I always thought the Burson & LCD-2 was THE classic combination.

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 11

Best rockin' amp I've ever heard with the LCD-2 rev2 or LCD-3 for that matter this side of a RSA Dark Star - it's pretty special
 but unfortunately a bit expensive and rare.

Sugden HA-4 Class A Headphone Amp

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:

Best rockin' amp I've ever heard with the LCD-2 rev2 or LCD-3 for that matter this side of a RSA Dark Star - it's pretty special
 but unfortunately a bit expensive and rare.

Sugden HA-4 Class A Headphone Amp

If we're going to get into that level of expense, my absolute favorite with the LCD-2 and LCD-3 is the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire.  Actually it's really good with the HE-500 as well.  It's really not exorbitantly priced; it's $3,250(US).  But they tend to sell out on presale before each production run, so it can take a couple of months to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back