DACMAGIC XS vs Meridian Explorer 2 [Help me choose,please] [Headphone B&W P7]
Dec 28, 2014 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

cloud13cherish

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'd like to ask for some recommendation between DACMAGIC XS, Meridian explorer and Meridian explorer 2. I use B&W P7 as a headphone and need a DAC USB[ my first DAC/DAC USB]. Done with the researh, I found DACPORT/ Dragonfly v1.2/ DACMAGIC XS/ Meridian explorer 2 etc.
  Now, I decided to choose between DACMAGIC XS and Meridian explorer2. I don't have strict budget but I want to make the right choice. I know both can do 24bit 192kHz but need to know which one has better[clear, warm, etc]. What I am curious is whether Meridian Explorer 2 is worth buying.(over DACMAGIC XS) Like is there a significant in there DAC processing making Meridian Explorer 2 more clear, bigger sound stage, etc . Or am I OK enough with the DACMAGIC XS. I did some goolging but it's hard to get informations about the comparison of these two.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 2
Maybe a bit too late to answer this.
anyway i havent heard the Explorer 2
but i have the dacmagic xs. I believe the Explorer 2 will be the better purchase. I never got to love the dacmagic xs. Although its a clean sounding amp and has a very black background, its on the bright and harsh side. Its tonality isnt perfect, and the notes dont have enough weight to them, its lean sounding. I was hoping to get an analogue sounding dac, but the dacmagic xs doesnt do that well. I myself am hoping i could upgrade to the Explorer 2 soon. I compared the ouput of the dacmagic xs to my galaxy s3's, and the difference is nt there. They sound very close to each other except for the dacmagic xs being able to drive headphones to higher volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back