DacMagic vs Beresford Caiman
Jul 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dr-Ludvig

New Head-Fier
Hey there folks!

I was just wondering if anybody has some experiences with these two DAC's? I can't quite decide between the two for my speaker system.. I can get the DacMagic for 2000,- DKK and the Beresford Caiman for 2200,- DKK so not much of a price difference...
As i can see from the specs, the dac chip itself is a bit better in the DacMagic, but other than that i don't really know which is the better candidate? The Beresford does of course have the advantage of a headphone amp, but this is mainly going to be used in my speaker system, so it's not really that usefull to me..
So does anyone have some listening experience with these two DAC?'s or just some general advice on the matter?
Its most likely going to be connected via toslink from my pc, and then on to my preamp..

Thanks in advance!

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 4
I can't comment on the dacmagic but the beresford caiman is pretty reasonable as a preamp/dac.  I find a little sibliance with the caiman but apart from that for the money it is good.  Your other option could be an audio gd nfb 12 which in my opinion has a more smoother sound but alas I have not used this as a preamp only has a headphone amp.
cheers

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Well i've pretty much decided on one of these two, as i can get them delivered to here (Denmark) relatively easy..
And this is not going to be used as a preamp as such, so variable output is not needed, it it gonna work purely as a DAC and then feed the signal into my rotel preamp..
But i'd love to hear more opinions on the matter :)

Jul 28, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 4
I have DM and had Beresford TC7520. Superior build quality on DM, 7520 had a cheap pot that made channels imbalanced at low level. DM sounds warmer, fuller body, 7520 sounded crispier and more digital sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back