DacMagic vs. 10-year-old AVR
Mar 17, 2010 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

McPanse

100+ Head-Fier
Just for grins, I decided to try the DacMagic from my headphone with a two-channel speaker system I'm running from a Denon 1800 AVR I bought about 10 years ago.

My source is a MacBook pumping Pandora One via optical cable to the DacMagic and the 1800 AVR. Besides the volume gain I get when I switch the 1800, I don't hear any clear differences between the two.

I have no idea what DAC is onboard the Denon, but in this admittedly unscientific test, any differences are so subtle as to elude detection.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Im not really surprised. but good work finding an older bit of gear that still sounds very nice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tube Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try the test with something better than streamed 192K source data.

I dont think vintage gear supports such high sample rates.

An interesting test would be the new thingy VS the old using various sample rates VS the 44k your stuck with.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not really surprised. but good work finding an older bit of gear that still sounds very nice.

I dont think vintage gear supports such high sample rates.

An interesting test would be the new thingy VS the old using various sample rates VS the 44k your stuck with.

oh, he wasnt talking about the sample rate of the audio, he was talking about the bit rate of the Pandora One radio stream, which is at 192kbps, easy enough mistake to make
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 14
I'll try CD-->DacMagic-->AVR vs. CD-->AVR via optical and coax and see what's what.

I gave it a whirl and here's my conclusion: Differences remain so subtle as to elude detection.

The CDP used for this evaluation is a Denon 2910 universal player. It was connected via optical output to the Denon AVR and via coax to the DAC Magic. I approximated A/B comparison by toggling between sources with my remote.

The AVR is late 1990s vintage, built in Japan, before Denon expanded its product line to serve the big-box store market.

While it's certainly possible that further intensive comparative listening would reveal differences, I'm newly resolved not to shell out for upgrades that are not obvious and immediate.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #7 of 14
You sir, are obviously an audio McPansy
wink.gif

I'm pretty much convinced that while I pretend to be audiophile, I can rarely hear significant differences between equipment. However, that does not prevent me from a steady in/out stream of equipment. Speakers/headphones are another matter though, those differences are obvious and immediate.

Still, I have memories of being completely mesmerized by two systems I'd heard long ago, (1) Krell driving Martin-Logans, and (2) Klipsch Cornerhorns. So I still look for that thrill again. Something about having two noisy young daughters at home make me think I'll never get thrilled again.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, I have memories of being completely mesmerized by two systems I'd heard long ago, (1) Krell driving Martin-Logans, and (2) Klipsch Cornerhorns. So I still look for that thrill again. Something about having two noisy young daughters at home make me think I'll never get thrilled again.

If you want a thrill like you've never heard in your life, find a dealer that carries Rockports. The big ones. Bring lots of CDs.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something about having two noisy young daughters at home make me think I'll never get thrilled again.

Yes you will....when they hit puberty
edit: to the casual reader, this might sound slightly inappropriate (or unfortunately worded but still true).

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you will....when they hit puberty

Read that the wrong way and you've got issues...

EDIT: just saw your edit. I get what you mean, but yeah

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Yup, speakers and headphones make a big difference. So do room acoustics. Amps and DACs, not so much -- assuming the gear is competently built and adequately powered for the drivers in question. I've had dealers try to demonstrate the merits of five- or even six-figure electronics, but I've yet to hear undeniable differences.

Mar 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 14
I'll second that. My AVR's headphone-out does so well with my HD-650s that I wouldn't hesitate to pair lower-impedance cans, such any of the Denons, with it.

But HD-650s do benefit from better amplification. I'm listening to "Sara Tete WA" from the Head-Fi HD Tracks sampler and this drums-and-bass-heavy track is sounding a bit dark and smeared compared to how it sounds running the HD-650s from my LDMKIV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back