DACMagic question
Jul 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davidc2

Head-Fier
Should I put my DACMagic between my NAD C545BEE cd player and the Xonar Essence STC soundcard? - Coax between NAD and DacMagic, analogue phono between DacMagic and soundcard. ie using the CD player as a transport only.

Or should I leave the NAD CD player supplying the soundcard direct over analogue, and put the the DacMagic between the sound card and my headphone amp? coax from soundcard to DacMagic and analogue to headphone amp. In this set up all audio content will go through the DacMagic and on to headphone amp and from there to active speakers.

Where will it do the most good?

Thanks for any help you can give me with this - I'm new to DAC and still getting my head round it..

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Huh?
1. Connect both your cd player and your sound card to the DAC using digital cables (the DAC has multiple inputs and the ability to switch between them). It also has a usb input so you can even get rid of the sound card.
2. Connect your DAC's analogue outputs to your headphone amp/ stereo.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I put my DACMagic between my NAD C545BEE cd player and the Xonar Essence STC soundcard? - Coax between NAD and DacMagic, analogue phono between DacMagic and soundcard. ie using the CD player as a transport only.

Or should I leave the NAD CD player supplying the soundcard direct over analogue, and put the the DacMagic between the sound card and my headphone amp? coax from soundcard to DacMagic and analogue to headphone amp. In this set up all audio content will go through the DacMagic and on to headphone amp and from there to active speakers.

Where will it do the most good?

Thanks for any help you can give me with this - I'm new to DAC and still getting my head round it..

Why are you putting the NAD/DAC though your soundcard ?

Why not just connect the NAD to the headphone amp or
NAD----->DAC---->headphone amp ?

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by henryflower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?
1. Connect both your cd player and your sound card to the DAC using digital cables (the DAC has multiple inputs and the ability to switch between them). It also has a usb input so you can even get rid of the sound card.
2. Connect your DAC's analogue outputs to your headphone amp/ stereo.

Thanks. There is no digital in on my soundcard. Hence I'm having to use the rca phonos. I would definitely do what you suggest if my sound card had a digital input.

I thought USB gave less satisfactory sound quality than a proper digital Spdif coax or Toslink connection.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you putting the NAD/DAC though your soundcard ?

Why not just connect the NAD to the headphone amp or
NAD----->DAC---->headphone amp ?

Thank you. I enjoy listening to internet radio almost as much as listening to cds. I'm trying to get a situation where I can listen to both sources through my headphone amp and active speakers while maximising the sq using a decent DAC.

If I only listened to CDs I would definitlely follow your suggestion.

I have thought of getting the slightly inferior Xonar D2X sound card because it has digital in and out and replacing my Xonar Essence STX with it. Then nothing would go analogue until the inputs into my headphone amp (from the DACMagic) and then on through it to my speakers.

I'm trying to have my cake and eat it I suppose.

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidc2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought USB gave less satisfactory sound quality than a proper digital Spdif coax or Toslink connection.

Try USB and listen for your self.

Trust your ears.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 8
Just for information - NAD C545BEE cd player > DACMagic (via coax) > Asus Xonar Essence STX > GS Novo headphone amp > active speakers sounds bad on any of the three DACMagic filters. Steely, slightly spitty, confused sound. Like it was being over processed in some way. Sounds great just listening to the NAD > Xonar STX > etc again. Haven't tried NAD > Xonar STX > DAC Magic (via coax) > Headphone amp > speakers. Will do tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back