DacMagic 200m query (or other recommendations for DAC/headphone amp / pre amp)
Jul 26, 2021 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
I'm building anew computer and looking to step up my 'desk-game' all round.
I was looking at the DACmagic 200m as an affordable option for me to get a DAC /headphone amp / pre-amp.

It will also be connected to my powered speakers so I want it to also function as a pre-amp and have the ability to control the speaker volume from the units volume knob.

How does one switch between whether the DACmagic is outputting to headphones or the speakers. I'd like to be able to easy switch and not have to get up and turn the speakers off everything I want to use headphones. I doesn't seem to have a switch, and I haven't read or watches someone explaining if it can do this, or how it does this.

Also are there any other recommendations for a DAC / Headphone/ Pre Amp you'd make as equal to or superior withing the same general price range?
I don't mind if they are separate units.
I was also looking at the Schitt Magnius paired with a DAC, however it doesn't have the ability to switch it's output for controlling the volume and I would have to turn the speakers off. I'd then have to get the Jotunheim, and that ends up being too expensive for me.

I'd strongly prefer balanced outputs. The speakers I generally use at the computer connect via RCA, but I also have a pair of studio monitors which are xlr input only, and having the options to connect them is something I'd like.

Thank-you

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Mine is coming tomorrow so i can only offer what ive read. But i believe the volume controls both preouts and headphones with no way to turn off one or another.
nice to see a reply come through after 6 months.
I you could post up on here once you've tested the unit I'd really appreciate that, as I'm haven't made a purchase.
thanks.

Jan 17, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Well mine came the other day and i've been playing around with it ever since. No switch for cans vs. speakers. Unplug the cans for speaker use. Still breaking in but so far I'm pleased with the sound. Can be a little bright at times but I think it just needs more time. The resolution input lights are nice but a little quirky. I attribute that more to my sources though. For the price I think its a nice unit and will be keeping it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back