DAC1 USB vs. DA100S?
Jul 28, 2008 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

nd4speed

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a DAC that supports USB. What your impressions are of these two DACs and which do you think I should go with? I like that the DAC1 supports 24/96 over USB, it's not clear whether the Stello does (over USB).
The rest of the system will be a HR Desktop balanced and HD650s. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 15
Recommend trying out both if you could (at least one hour on each) - everyone has their own preferences. You may or may not agree to some reviews after you actually heard the DACs. Make a check list of things you want your DAC to do and test out both of those units and see which does best.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm also looking at these, mainly due to positive reviews and compact size which is important as a desk or bedside system.

The only thing that swings in the DA100S' favor is that it uses a discrete Class A output stage while the Dac1 runs on Opamp. I've never heard either, and doesn't mean a discrete amp is definitely better than a Opamp though.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recommend trying out both if you could (at least one hour on each) - everyone has their own preferences. You may or may not agree to some reviews after you actually heard the DACs. Make a check list of things you want your DAC to do and test out both of those units and see which does best.

Good point. Unfortunately I don't live in an area where I can audition these side by side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking at these, mainly due to positive reviews and compact size which is important as a desk or bedside system.

The only thing that swings in the DA100S' favor is that it uses a discrete Class A output stage while the Dac1 runs on Opamp. I've never heard either, and doesn't mean a discrete amp is definitely better than a Opamp though.

They're both very formidable on paper, both in specs and in reviews. I think it's going to come down to sonic "character" (or lack thereof). I'm leaning toward something more "clinical" and "neutral". I feel I can introduce "color" (if necessary) with a different selection of cables, or headphones.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 15
The DA100 only supports 16/48.

The closest direct comparison is Iron_Dreamer's comparison of the DA100 with the DAC1. He preferred the DA100 over the DA10 and then the DAC1. As far as I know, there are no differences of note between the DAC1 and DAC1 USB - the design has remained unchanged, or only minor changes have been made. I have not seen any comparisons of the DA100S and DA100, however, I do recall reading in the Stello impressions thread that the DA100S is not truly balanced from end to end, and that the only real difference between the DA100/DA100 signature is the addition of I2S for use with the CDP.

Apart from that, I can't be much help, I'm afraid. So far as impressions of the two on Head-fi are concerned, the DAC1 undoubtedly fell out of favour over 2006-2007 with a lot of senior members, while the DA100/HP100 received praise from Iron_Dreamer. The DAC1 seems to be enjoying a resurgence or continuance of its popularity, while the DA100 has remained a little obscure and without enough comparisons on which to form any definitive views. It makes it bloody hard to decide between those two, and harder still when I include the DA10 and Opera
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 15
The Dac 1 has the advantage of being a headamp but don't sound like it's of v high quality from reviews. It has really good reviews on TAS & Stereophile, so I guess resale value will be better. In fact the latest TAS one is way over the top kind of good, if you trust them completely.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #7 of 15
Check with the distrubutors, they may have 'home trial' unit (at least that is the case with DAC1, DA10 and stello in UK) which you could test out at home. The only negative point is that you have to use your credit card, however you could always return the goods.

As for preference, can't comment on DA100s as I haven't heard it. However, for DA10 vs DAC1 vs 220mk2, after trying them out I found I perfer 220mk2 > DAC1 USB > DA10 (disappointing).

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 15
I actually owned both DAC's at one time and the difference is very little between the two as far as sound quality. I actually preferred the sound of DA100 and it's true that the DAC1 is analytical .

If i didn't need to go balanced, i would have kept the DA100. So it depends on what you're looking for and the setup requirements that you have.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #11 of 15
The DA1OO Signature is balanced but I do not know if it is "full" balanced .

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yoff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DA1OO Signature is balanced but I do not know if it is "full" balanced .

I've heard the same thing. In fact there was some discussion about this in this thread.

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 15
As the DAC1 isn't fully balanced either, this is really a non-point. The dac1 is single ended with a balanced driver circuit used to create the balanced signal just beofre the balanced jacks. This is the usual practice in pro recording gear (which is what the dac1 is, it just migrated to us audiophiles).

It looks like the da100s might use a similar approach, but that hasn't been confirmed. That dac1 is definately not fully balanced.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gyrodec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the DAC1 isn't fully balanced either, this is really a non-point. The dac1 is single ended with a balanced driver circuit used to create the balanced signal just beofre the balanced jacks. This is the usual practice in pro recording gear (which is what the dac1 is, it just migrated to us audiophiles).

It looks like the da100s might use a similar approach, but that hasn't been confirmed. That dac1 is definately not fully balanced.

Is that what this article eludes to in saying "the DAC1 is not differentially balanced, however"? Buzzwords
rolleyes.gif
Why don't mfgs just come right out and explain these things in plain english, rather then obfuscating the facts??
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by katalyst^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, there are no differences of note between the DAC1 and DAC1 USB - the design has remained unchanged, or only minor changes have been made.

USB version sounds a little better, softer then the non-USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back