DAC1 Questions???
Oct 2, 2004 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lynn

New Head-Fier
Hi,

What sound card would you recommend to optimally drive a DAC-1? I am currently using a 1212M, but have wondered if an RME would be better, or perhaps a Waveterminal (for the 24/192 output).

Also, should the volume control on the DAC-1 be used, or the mixer volume on the PC? Preliminary testing using a 1212m seem to favor the mixer volume. Using the DAC-1 volume, the sound seems to be a bit more veiled.

Lastly, has anyone else noticed that a 1212m direct to the amp *seems* to have a lot more bass vs. the Dac-1? However, the DAC-1 is substantially clearer/tighter, but is this just a symptom of a loss of bass information? Put another way, both the DAC-1 and the 1212m have flat specs down lower than 20hz, so why is the bass different?

Thanks for your help!

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 10
All soundcards capable of bit perfect digital out will sound equally the same. That being said, unless you have some other use for the other functions of more expensive soundcards, the $25 Chaintech av710 is the way to go.

As for the volume control, for your setup, you've answered your own question. If it sounds better one way, do it.

The "lack" of bass is the first thing I noticed about the Dac-1 after being used to an 0404 for a few months. But Im beginning to think more and more that this is the way bass is supposed to sound. On the welcome sheet that accompanies a new dac1, Benchmark states that you'll notice a lack of "low midrange," which is more accuratelyupper bass imo. They claim that's all jitter and distortion; bass isn't supposed to sound like that. I havent decided if I prefer bass with distortion or without yet.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Funny you should say 1212m has more bass because I think it is rather light on bass in general. As for accuracy of the bass, it could be accurate but consider your ears may have a non flat / different response. So you might need to use some EQ to boost the bass if you don't think it's enough.

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 10
"How do dac 1 and 0404 compare,generally?"

I like both for different reasons, and which I could have the best of two.

The 1212m has the perception of more bass, but the bass is less defined. There seems to be less of an emphasis on the high frequencies. The combination of the these two factors makes the 1212m seems smoother. This can help old recordings sound wonderful, and in fact almost every recording I played was enjoyable. In terms of bass, you will feel a cello playing as well as hear it, and on truly bass heavy music it will amaze you (but the bass seems fuzzy on the bass transients). On the other hand, on some level the presentation is not as convincing since in being so smooth, there is a sameness to the instruments since some instruments should sound a little strident, or have bite, and they don't.

My feelings about the DAC-1 are almost the opposite of the 1212m. The bass seems to be lighter, and at all frequencies everything is crystal clear. The DAC-1 hides nothing, and you do hear things you may have never noticed before. However, I find my self not wanting to listen to certain recordings that sounded fine on the 1212m. Ah, but on good recordings instruments have more realism. Every instrument sounds right. There is more delicacy to the sound of high frequencies (for instance high notes on a piano). There is not a hint of distortion in the bass (or anywhere else for that matter), and you will hear bowing or plucking much better. For vocals, more nuance and emotion is presented. The soundstage is better defined (and the 1212m is no slouch in this area).

Let me give you a specific example. Big band jazz is difficult to record well, and on the 1212m most of the songs in the genre I tried were very listenable, and some terrible bleeding ear recordings sounded good for the first time. In fact, I could use them as late night background music. Using the DAC-1, the poor recordings did shriek, but with a definition to the individual instruments that held your interest so that ultimately I decided not to skip them. It felt like there was a big band in your room, and no way could it used as background music. It grabbed your attention.

I know some (many?) may disagree with my opinion, but I would sum it up this way. If you like the smoothness of tubes, bass is your thing, and you want to be wow'd by bass go with the 1212m. If nuance and realism is what you enjoy, go with the DAC-1. You can't really go wrong with either. I wish I had a button to switch between the two depending upon my mood.

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 10
The DAC1's relatively light bass comes from the Analog Devices DAC that it uses. I wouldn't say it's either correct or incorrect, but rather just a flavor issue. Virtually all CDPs/DACs that use Analog Devices chipsets have this particular sonic flavor. They measure perfectly flat (just like good chipsets from other vendors) but there's something perceptual going with the bass that's not easily quantifiable.

Personally, this kind of sound isn't what I'm looking for, but I know many others would like it. I wish Benchmark would offer a version of the DAC1 with the same receiver, front end, and analog stage, but with a Cirrus or Burr-Brown DAC. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Personally, this kind of sound isn't what I'm looking for, but I know many others would like it. I wish Benchmark would offer a version of the DAC1 with the same receiver, front end, and analog stage, but with a Cirrus or Burr-Brown DAC. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

How difficult/expensive would such a mod be?

Oct 2, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 10
I don't think most DACs are pin compatible and the surface mount nature of them would make it next to impossible to change.

Oct 2, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 10
if your interested in selling your 1212m please let me know i really need a card with ADAT IO
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 10
That's too bad, lan. Fortunately, I can boost the bass digitally since my source is a pc... that helps a good deal and it doesnt sound bad/add distortion like it would on lesser products. But the sound with ambient and classical music untouched is really good; the type of music that makes the dac1 desirable to the others Wodgy made reference to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back