DAC1 or GraceM902 still worth it?
Jun 13, 2009 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CDBacklash

1000+ Head-Fier
Curious if they still perform well today and which will be a better investment in the long-term (since I intend to stop spending money soon).
also how do they compare to something like the dacMAGIC?
semi-interested in hearing alternatives that will sound better for a similar price provided they have two output jacks.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 15
For a step up in performance from the V-DACs / DacMagics of the world, but a step down in price from DAC1, I bought a used PS Audio DLIII from Audiogon for $550.

Balanced XLR and RCA outputs and it sounds just killer. Beautiful sound.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 15
DAC1 is expensive in Australia. I have been considering North Star Design dac 192 Mk2. Headroom ultra desktop dac looks interesting, it's around the same price thanks to the strong australian dollar.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 15
alternatively im looking at a corda symphony as well although im not sure if both jacks are usable at the same time since one is Z and the other is z

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious if they still perform well today and which will be a better investment in the long-term (since I intend to stop spending money soon).
also how do they compare to something like the dacMAGIC?
semi-interested in hearing alternatives that will sound better for a similar price provided they have two output jacks.

Having owned both, I would say yes. However, I have not had the chance to listen to the dacMagic, so I cannot offer a comparison. The DM is quite hard to find in Taipei right now. I think the best long-term investment is probably the Benchmark, since it makes an excellent DAC. I think it is the most transparent piece of kit I have ever owned. I'm still kicking myself for selling it away, but I really preferred the additional features of the m902 (which I am extremely happy with).

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 15
can the outputs of the DAC1 and m902 be used simultaneously?
Im asking because at the moment, whilst I plan to use it for myself, after an upgrade 3 or so years down the track (when I get my degree) I will probably look at using it in a classroom of primary school students as a reward system (to try and encourage people to appreciate music, among other things).

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

can the outputs of the DAC1 and m902 be used simultaneously?
Im asking because at the moment, whilst I plan to use it for myself, after an upgrade 3 or so years down the track (when I get my degree) I will probably look at using it in a classroom of primary school students as a reward system (to try and encourage people to appreciate music, among other things).

Hmmm. Well, I now the DAC1 one can run both outputs simultaneously, but I think the m902 only comes with one set of outputs, balanced or unbalanced. Advantage: Benchmark.

Jun 14, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

alternatively im looking at a corda symphony as well although im not sure if both jacks are usable at the same time since one is Z and the other is z

I think you can ask Jan Meier to rewire the Symphony so that both jacks are z. He did that for some of his Corda Opera customers, it's probably possible with the Symphony as well.

Jun 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #11 of 15
can someone comment on the dac component of the symphony, grace and dac1 as its of the main interest to me in the long-run. and how well theyll pair with low-ohm headphones.
at the moment im leaning towards the dac1

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As low as $550 if you do not need the USB input, if you need it about $650.

awesome price!

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

can someone comment on the dac component of the symphony, grace and dac1 as its of the main interest to me in the long-run. and how well theyll pair with low-ohm headphones.
at the moment im leaning towards the dac1

fkclo did a comparison between the symphony and Grace M902 on "the" Corda Symphony thread. These are the impressions:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometime in November I wrote about my initial impressions of the Symphony

My 270 hours Journey with Symphony

Time flies. I have now clocked over 430 hours on my Symphony and would like to say it has got better. Not day or night or in any big way, but what you may expected out of a "mature" component and a deeper understanding of its behaviour. With the whole host of features, solid build quality and superb sound the Symphony continues to represent very good value.

I was asked by a number of members how the Symphony compares with the Grace Design M902 (since I owned both). I can understand why as both seems to share a very similar feature set and target at a similar group of needs in the circle.

I was thinking of putting forward a full review of the Grace Design M902 vs. the Symphony but never find the time to complete it. I think I have spent enough hours on both. So, instead of a full comparison let's just look at the obvious
smily_headphones1.gif

The feature set of M902 and Symphony is very similar. My M902 has single end output only so it this regard the preamp function is almost similar. The M902 does accept balanced input ( and additional single end input) while both inputs on the Symphony are single-end only. For USB input, the Symphony uses Type B connector which is more "standard" than the "mini" connector being used on the M902. If one decides to go for a upscale USB cable (which, to my ears, does change the sound I hear), it is worth noting most come with the standard USB connectors.

The obvious difference between the two are :-
  • The M902 is more compact. The Symphony looks big and feels heavy in comparison
  • The M902 has a remote which is useful in some occasions. But this is another $115 option which adds to the base price.
  • The Symphony DAC is slightly better sounding to me ( SPDIF vs. SPDIF) - being more resolved but not edgy. The M902 DAC sounds "soft" by comparison.
  • The Symphony USB DAC is noticeably better, and comes with various filter choices for fine tuning of the sound you want
  • The headphone amp of the Symphony sound more neutral and have a lower noise floor (actually both amps are very black background so the differentiation is not that easy). I am sure the power supply of Symphony is better.
  • The headphone amp of the Symphony is more resolving and provide a more neutral sound, but the M902 is a bit smoother (or rounded) in general
  • The Gain switch and cross-feed selector of the Symphony is more accessible. Whereas on the M902 one will have to dig into the menu to locate the settings ( and it is not sticky - which means once you power-off the M902, it will default back to low gain, and CF off)
  • I use the M902 in low gain all the time and can drive most headphones well (with volume set at 65 / 99) I have to use the high gain of the Symphony most of the time except very low impedance headphone (with volume set less than 12 o'clock most of the time)
  • M902 offers separate volume control for line out vs headphone out which is useful if one is using the unit as a pre-amp as well.
  • The Symphony sounds more airy and imaging is more precise and real
  • The Symphony sounds extremely well with classical instruments - violins, piano especially.
  • The M902 sounds impressive with jazz vocals - feels intimate

For new purchases, the M902 will cost you around US$1,450 to 1,600, not including the remote and shipment, whereas the Symphony cost around $1,250 shipped. Of course, import tax can make or break the "best buy" evaluation. For those of us that do not need to worry about import tax or duties, the Symphony is obviously a better buy.

F. Lo

The thread can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/cor...9/index20.html

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #15 of 15
CDbacklash,

IMO the new(er) Lavry DA11 may be a better option/alternative to the Benchmark.

If you find an used DAC1 USB or Pre (the Pre has the better opamps inside) at a fair price, this may be the best buy. I have not heard (yet) the Lavry, but the Benchmark 'as is' is quite good and a small/easy/cheap mod (internal coupling caps) releases its full SQ potential, quite high. Even in std form is IMO superior to DacMagic (it failed to impress me) or V-DAC (very nice sounding unit and a truly bargain) unless any system synergy or listener taste plays a big role...

The DAC1 is very versatile, only bettered by the DA11 for the latter 'stage control' (sort of crossfeed) and remote control (any programmable can do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back