DAC1 HDR vs. DA11
May 9, 2010 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

BK_856er

100+ Head-Fier
I have on my desk a Benchmark DAC1 HDR and a Lavry DA11.  Eventually one will go and one will stay.  I've spent the last few days doing some careful listening and comparison.  Looking for some input on how to really challenge these units.

Primary use will be to play flac files over USB to headphones using the dac/amp combo - no plans for a separate amp.

Current PC is an XP thinkpad T60 running Fubar2000 1.0.3 and (a) Sony MDR 7509HD or (b) Yamaha YH-1 Orthodynamic.  The Sony are sensitive and very low impedance, whereas the Yamaha are 150ohms.  I'm interested in something along the lines of the HD650 down the road.

In addition to various MP3s and flac files I'm using the HDTracks Open Your Ears in 24/96 format.

Both dac/amps are very nice indeed, but they do have their differences.  I'm in agreement with some of the characterizations I've read here, but not all of them.  Trying to keep an open mind and withhold judgment for a while longer.  Not an expert at this by any stretch and this is a big purchase for me.

So besides logging a bunch of listening time and throwing a variety of content and a couple of different cans at them, is there something else I should be doing to help choose the best unit for my needs?  Any general pitfalls to avoid when doing such comparisons?

BK

May 9, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 35
Can you post a picture for us to see how they look one next to the other? Thanks.
As for methodology, don't forget to match the volumes before listening, have someone help you blind test them is you can.
ABX is best thing you can do but is but very tedious, otherwise simply write write down the impressions you get from each amp/dac while not knowing which amp/dac is connected ie. hide the dacs.

The traditional methods methods would be A/Bing the Dacs, with the shortest delay possible between A and B since auditory memory is very short, try to detect the differences.
Or listening to a single dac for a long time (maybe one album or two), write down your impressions, WAIT, until you've forgotten what you heard from that Dac (so you get as close to a "new first" impression as possible), repeat the operation for the second dac, compare your written impressions.

May 9, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 35
This issue of electrical noise and USB, any links to actual evidence?

I would be very interested in the results of this comparison between the two DACs.

May 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 35
Both the Lavry and the Benchmark should sound the same no matter what entry is used, jitter rejection was implemented correctly on both units, from what I read anyway... I would suggest to use the optical connection only if you have a ground loop problem (simply because usb is more convenient).

May 10, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 35
Looking forward to your impressions.  
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 35
It was unclear if you were using the  USB implementation of the DACs or you have some other way of getting the signal out of your laptop.

If you are using on board USB, you will probably be comparing  USB implementations rather than the DACs themselves. 

USG

May 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
Looking for some input on how to really challenge these units.

Primary use will be to play flac files over USB to headphones using the dac/amp combo - no plans for a separate amp.

BK

It could prove to be diffcult to challenge those units in a limited timeframe. From the USB input to power AC, lot's of external factors will heavily influence the way the DAC behave. At least it has been my experience over this last year with the Lavry DA11.

Pick one and enjoy the journey
wink.gif

May 10, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
Quote:

It could prove to be diffcult to challenge those units in a limited timeframe. From the USB input to power AC, lot's of external factors will heavily influence the way the DAC behave. At least it has been my experience over this last year with the Lavry DA11.

Pick one and enjoy the journey
wink.gif

You could be right - they are both strong units.  To clarify for others, my interest is USB/dac/amp as a package, with the capability to do 24/96 over USB.

How is your HiFace working out with the DA11 and what was your motivation there?  I tried the KS addon to Fubar2000, but my pc didn't implement it too well.

BK

May 10, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 35
Wasapi/Foobar with Windows Vista/7 runs pretty well, no problems at all.
If you're still with XP, Vista is 99% debugged right now (it wasn't when it came out) and 7 is pretty nifty.

May 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #14 of 35
you have some awesome gear:)  and im sure its been driving your crazy:)  at least it would for me,, very difficult to pic your final dac.

there is some good advice here.   a/b can be very annoying and sometimes if you concentrate to hard it will literally drive you crazy.   i would first start the comparison while multi tasking,, for example,,  listen to the benchmark while eating and then chill with it for an hour, then start your a/b compare. just make sure you can instantly change dac's to compare sound. and i would use some nice phones,   as i think it may be more difficult to compare listening on speakers(depending on speakers and volume etc.)
-write down your opinion

i also found that sometimes(not always) it can be psychological as well,   so the next time, wait a  while or until next day,,   this time start off with the lavry, and do the same thing,,  but make sure you start multitasking with it, so u can adjust your ears to its sound. and then move into the a/b.  if you concentrate to hard or don't start with a multi task it may be harder for ears to adjust ,ymmv,    but ive found this very helpful not only while comparing dac's but for phones and iem's as well.

the psychological card, may be that the one you start with is the one your prefer or vice versa,  that is why i suggest starting with the lavry the second time around. and again take lots of notes!

and the most important thing is to have instant access to the other dac's sound,   going from audible memory is no good.  remember to take a lot of breaks while comparing.

i almost went for a benchmark,, so im super jealous of you  good luck, cant wait to hear which one you kept.

cheers

May 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
You could be right - they are both strong units.  To clarify for others, my interest is USB/dac/amp as a package, with the capability to do 24/96 over USB.

How is your HiFace working out with the DA11 and what was your motivation there?  I tried the KS addon to Fubar2000, but my pc didn't implement it too well.

BK

To me and many others, the HiFace offers far superior performance than through direct USB, and gives you up to 24/192 compatibility. Actually, I am a bit sad to see that companies like Benchmark or Lavry Eng. are not following the asynchronous USB trend and are sticking with adaptive USB, which I consider already a dead format.

I am no expert, but I believe KS is recommended for XP only (my set up), while WASAPI should be the choice for Vista/7...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back