Dac1 as an Amp
Feb 28, 2005 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

officerdoofy

New Head-Fier
I was just wondering what everyone thought of the Dac1 as an amplifier for the HD650's. I am trying to decide whether I should get the Dac1 and a seperate amplifier or just use the dac1's built in amp. Thanks for any help.

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 14
people seem to really like the HD650 powered off the XLR outputs in the back in balanced mode. you'll need a special cable for this though, which could range anywhere from using your stock HD650 cable and putting XLR plugs on those (free cable + $5 for a cheap (but good) pair of XLR's) to an aftermarket cable such as the silver dragon, zu mobius, or others fitted with XLR plugs. make sure you use the correct XLR plug (females) for your application. search around for some opinions about this. I don't like it too much, but others seem to like it a lot.

as for using the headphone amp in the DAC1 for the HD650, I haven't really heard much about that. I'm borrowing a DAC1 so maybe I'll try it out....

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 14
DAC1's XLR output can drive headphones significantly better than its headphopne jack.
HD650 is best driven through a four wire configuration (each channel with its own signal and ground wires).
Connect pin 2 of XLR to signal wire and pin 1 to ground wire and leave pin 3 floating.
In this thread you will find lots of discussions about how to use XLR to drive headphones: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=20

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
DAC1's XLR output can drive headphones significantly better than its headphopne jack.
HD650 is best driven through a four wire configuration (each channel with its own signal and ground wires).
Connect pin 2 of XLR to signal wire and pin 1 to ground wire and leave pin 3 floating.
In this thread you will find lots of discussions about how to use XLR to drive headphones: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...1&page=1&pp=20

Actually that is not correct. IME the best sound comes from wiring signal to pin2 and ground to pin3 so the headphones are driven in balanced mode by inverted and noninverted signals, just as they would be from a Blockhead or the like.

Feb 28, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #6 of 14
I've just made a female to female XLR cable so I can try the DAC1's output directly with my balanced HD650 cable. currently using the DAC1 and a balanced HD650, but there's a BlockHead between them.
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I'll be interested to hear the comparison.

well, after a slight mishap with me not knowing how to use the DAC1 and blasting full line level output into the left driver... (HD650 was still on my head too, but I'm fine.
smily_headphones1.gif
pulled the plug out very quickly.) the HD650 is being driven direct by the DAC1. don't like the sound too much.
tongue.gif

BlockHead / balanced HD650 is the way to go (for me at least). better than the Balanced Reference / balanced HD650 setup too.

I'll elaborate later on in another thread though... like maybe the San Mateo meet impressions thread.

Feb 28, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by officerdoofy
I was just wondering what everyone thought of the Dac1 as an amplifier for the HD650's. I am trying to decide whether I should get the Dac1 and a seperate amplifier or just use the dac1's built in amp. Thanks for any help.

It's fine for HD600s.
I may have said some harsh things about the DAC1 as an amp for it's stark honesty but those were hunted for criticisms. I've been listening at nights to the DAC1 as a headphone amp, without being in hyper critical mode, and I feel perfectly satisfied (using the front jacks).

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #10 of 14
I've had my DAC1 for two days now and I love it
driving the 650's. In fact for the first time since
I got the 650's I now know what they should sound
like. The reciever built in headphone jack never
was able to push them properly.

Regards,
j

Mar 1, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I have decided that I will go with another seperate amp (most likely the blockhead). I think I'll continue to figure the rest out in my other thread (don't want to be running two threads talking about the same thing. I'de like to keep this discussion open though, as it is very interesting. Thanks again.

Mar 1, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #12 of 14
b$l$o$c$k$h$e$a$d

some users here say the balanced dynahi is on the same ground as the blockhead at half the cost.

Mar 2, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Actually that is not correct. IME the best sound comes from wiring signal to pin2 and ground to pin3 so the headphones are driven in balanced mode by inverted and noninverted signals, just as they would be from a Blockhead or the like.

For balance-drive headphones (4-wire cable) using pins 2 and 3 (signal and inverted signal) sounds like a good idea. I have never tried that myself.

For unbalnced headphone (3-wire cable), using pin 2 and 3 may be undesirable, becuase the two inverted signals would be connected to the same wire. I don't know what would happen, but I guess the inverted signals from each chennal would affect one another, causing channel crosstalk. For unbalanced headphone, it is probably better to lift pin 3.

For connecting XLR to RCA, Benchmark's manual also recommends floating pin 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back