DAC1 and HD650 balanced
Mar 31, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #61 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowmagnet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So instead of adding to a constructive conversation trying to get to the bottom of the issue, you intend to troll and/or flame? Reported.

Hello captain defensiveness!

At any rate, go listen to a balanced headphone system before calling the idea a gimmick. I can guarantee that the sonic benefits are very tangible and substantial.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #62 of 68
Ok, Gang, bear with me. I just balanced my Senn HD 650 stock cable. I'm running it from the XLR outs on the DAC1. I have it on the variable setting so that I can use the attenuator on the front of the DAC1. The problem is that I need to go anywhere from Noon - 5:00 PM to get suitable volumes (so the steps are not very efficient). Is this due to the high impedance of the XLR output (am I stating that correctly)? And if so, what should I do to improve the situation?

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #63 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, Gang, bear with me. I just balanced my Senn HD 650 stock cable. I'm running it from the XLR outs on the DAC1. I have it on the variable setting so that I can use the attenuator on the front of the DAC1. The problem is that I need to go anywhere from Noon - 5:00 PM to get suitable volumes (so the steps are not very efficient). Is this due to the high impedance of the XLR output (am I stating that correctly)? And if so, what should I do to improve the situation?

Thanks!

Hey Monkey... remember that the DAC1 USB is delivered out of the box with the internal jumper pads set to a -20Db reduction on the balanced outputs (I think it affects the RCA outputs too). The jumpers can be set at either -30, -20, -10 or 0. I believe I recall reading Iron_Dreamer and others advise that the jumpers need to be set back to the zero damping level, which makes sense given how high the current needs to be in order to drive headphones, which are low-impedance devices as compared to multi-thousand ohm speakers, directly from a high impedance output (I think I've got that right?). I think the headphone jack also has a separate gain-reducing jumper similarly set to a lower level out of the box, but I'm pretty sure it's controlled by a different set of jumpers so don't feel obliged to change those unless you want to get even more volume out of the 1/4" jacks too. Mine is freaking loud out of the box so I doubt I need to do that.

I am prepping to do exactly what you are as soon as the new stock HD 650 cable I ordered arrives so I can slice it open and wire it for balanced configuration. So I'm very curious to hear how it works out for you!
580smile.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #64 of 68
That makes a lot of sense. Many thanks! I'll report back.

EDIT: My other question is how much of an affect would setting the jumpers to 0dB have if i were to use a balanced amp down the road from the DAC1's XLR outs? More specifically, would I be advised to go back to the -20dB setting? Thanks.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #65 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!

Set to 0DB & the volume will be fine..

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #66 of 68
Excellent guys, thanks for the help. Switched the jumpers tonight--damn those screws were hard to undue on the cover!

But I am very pleased with how the HD 650 sounds balanced out of the DAC1. I think balanced phones introduce more of a sense of air with better instrument separation, resulting in a wider soundstage. And specifically with the DAC1, it seems that running balanced tames the highs and warms up the signature a bit from the HP out, with perhaps a small hit in the detail (perhaps). The XLR outs are more euphonic than the HP out, to these ears. Of course, euphonic is a relative term for this unit which leans toward the analytical and crystalline, which are good things to me, but it's nice to have a slightly warmer alternative out of the same box. I'm looking forward to comparing to the Lavry.

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #68 of 68
*thread revived*

So according to the damping factor equation, the higher the Z(load), the lower the DF requirement, right? Wouldn't that make DAC1 adequate for phones like K340s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back