DAC without output stage
Jul 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

goobicii

100+ Head-Fier
Only DAC that doesnt have output stage is TotalDac Twelve,its 28000 euro and have 2400 Vishay resistors...for comparsion the very popular 10000 euro D1 Dual have total 400 resistors....... this amount of parallel dacs spits out enough power that it doesnt need output stage.....

output stage is pretty much little amplifier,either transistor or tube,some of these output stages are very good but I believe best amp is no amp,you can minimize sonic degradation with good output stage but having no output stage is always better.I believe in simplest most direct signal paths for maximum signal purity

I was wondering how many of the following chips would you need to get enough power to not need output stage : pcm1704,tda1541,pcm63 & ad5791

lets say 32x 1541 per channel so 64 total,would that have enough juice?

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 4
"simplicity" can be taken too far - especially dangerous when you don't know the technology in detail - you are just buying a story - not judging the quality of the output on its own merits

for audio "on the merits" of the sound is listening with level, frequency response matching and a Blinding Protocol

"no output stage" is a new one to me but is already "too simple" - every commercial music signal will have been through many amplifiers, most often monolithic op amps

headphones are largely designed to be driven with low impedances, "Voltage Source" outputs

DACs come in several flavors - not all output a Voltage - some are designed to have an I/V Transimpedance Amp on their "current mode" outputs

some of the current out DACs can be ran at very low output Voltages - into transformers and shunt resistors but the internal switches typically work poorly with unanticipated V output and distortion rapidly rises with even few 100 mV output

and most Audio DAC chips that are "Voltage Output" have internal op amps that can't be bypassed

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Sorry, but the AlienDAC, BantamDAC, SkeletonDAC, and GrubDAC have no output stages.  There are also a number of DACs that were designed on the PCM2706/7 chip, too, that have no output stages.  In some instances, these are DAC chips with their own internal amplifier, but others (AlienDAC, BantamDAC, GrubDAC) are not.

I think HiFiMeDIY also sells DACs with no circuitry after the output of the DAC.

One of the favorite mods to CD and DVD players was to bypass the output circuitry and feed off of a couple of film caps placed right on the outputs of the DAC chip.

Only DAC that doesnt have output stage is TotalDac Twelve,its 28000 euro and have 2400 Vishay resistors... 

So, I'm not sure where the above statement came from, but it's not true.
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 4
the Soekris DAC has both, a raw output and a buffered one go check it out !
http://www.soekris.dk/dam1021.html
https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/soekris-dam-1021-r-2r-dac-users-guide/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back