DAC with variable output under $300?
Apr 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Crow T Robot

Head-Fier
So after much debating over passive or powered speakers for my desktop, I heard a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv4 and fell in love. The only minor annoyance is that both speakers have individual volume controls, and adjusting the volume generally involves several minutes worth of tweaking each knob to make sure the volume levels are equal.

I've been lookingfor a DAC with variable outputs replace my Topping D2 (which has fixed outputs), but it's not always clear when reading descriptions which have variable output and which don't. So far the only sub $300 DACs with variable out that I know of are:

Aune X1 - I know absolutely nothing about this one, and aside from one review I found on the net opinions are scarce.

Matrix Mini-i - Looks nice, and has balanced outputs, but it's on the high end of what I'm currently able to spend right now.

Audioengine D2 - Well reviewed and cheap, but only has two inputs, and no way to switch between them, so I can't have my PS3 and PC hooked up at the same time.

Are there any other DACs out there in my price range that have variable output?

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 13
The cheapo Fire Phoenix DAC-02  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-HiFiMAN-EF5-Headphone-Amplifier/170696111860

has a variable output. I have two of these. 

Is it possible to switch between inputs with the Fire Phoenix? I'll be hooking up a PC and PS3, and I've gotten used to the ability to switch between them with my Topping. If not, my current first choice is the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1, since it has an input selector and apparently also has a fairly powerful headphone amp, which will come in handy when I eventually get my hands on a pair of HD650s. Anyone have any good or bad experience with the Tubemagic?

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Is it possible to switch between inputs with the Fire Phoenix? I'll be hooking up a PC and PS3, and I've gotten used to the ability to switch between them with my Topping.If not, my current first choice is the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1, since it has an input selector and apparently also has a fairly powerful headphone amp, which will come in handy when I eventually get my hands on a pair of HD650s.Anyone have any good or bad experience with the Tubemagic?

Yes, it has one optical, one coax and one USB and a 3-way switch on the back. NB - The volume switch attenuates both RCA output and headphones I leave mine on full for speakers and lower the volume before inserting headphones !

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
How is the headphone out? My eventual goal is to get a more demanding set of cans for my desktop (HD650, Q701, or the like), and I know I shouldn't expect miracles for $90 but I figure I'd ask.

Thanks for responding to all my questions.

I use it to drive a pair of DT880 250 ohm and Senn HD580 & HD535 and in my opinion it does that as well as my other amps which include a Tianyun Zero 24/96 and a MisterX built M^3. It has no apparent incipient noise with my high Z headphones.

As for sound quality - shrug - with my 54 year old ears I do not hear any distortion that is not on the recordings.

As far as I am concerned an amp should do nothing other than add gain , should not impose any character on the sound neither adding nor taking away - its performance specs indicate it it is pretty clean in those terms (at least as good as some boutique designs) but I have not seen any measurements for it so cannot say any more than that. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

No, sadly the line-out stays active with headphones inserted. 

I'm actually not aware of many designs that defeat the pre-amp output when headphones are plugged in. I know my Nova disables the high-level speaker outputs but leaves the RCA pre-outs open just like that unit.

If you're feeling silly you can actually attach a subwoofer to the pre-outs to help out headphones with low bass response. I do this unintentionally since my pre-outs go to my subwoofer.

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 13
This might do the trick.

http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6/inputs-and-outputs

and leave some room for the inevitable expansion.

There are less expensive models like the M-Audio Fast Track C400. Skai EEE range or the E-MU 0404.

Over the budget but excellent is the RME Babyface.

Another alternative is to keep you existing card and add a monitor controller.

Here is one manufacturers range as an example.

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back