DAC with two outputs?
Jun 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zroeder

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new amp for my HD650s and for a hifi speaker amp & entry-level audiophile speakers. Thus, I need two clean outputs from my PC.

If possible, I'd like to buy just one product to suit both needs. In addition to keeping things simple, it would be more convenient to flip a switch than to change my PC's software output over and over again. So, are there any DACs with two outputs and a switch? My "ideal" budget for the DAC is $300, but I'd be willing to spend up to $400.

Any other solutions are welcome. Well, anything except for scrapping my plans to buy speakers and spending double on the headphone amp...

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Does your PC sound card have Optical or Coaxial output? I ask because you could look for Musical Fidelity X-Dac (the one in the cylinder shape enclosure). It has two ouputs and two inputs. The X-Dac automatically selects which of the inputs has a signal and chooses that one.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zroeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, my sound card is quite outdated and doesn't have digital outputs. Any other ideas?

This begs the question: Just what digital output are you going to feed into your intended DAC? Or are you looking for an upgraded soundcard that has two pairs of line-level outputs to feed into separate headphone and speaker amps? Or are you looking for a receiver style unit that can power two sets of speakers and your headphones, and switch between them?

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Well, I think I may have jumped to a few conclusions in the opening post -- I left out the crucial fact that I'll only be using either the headphones or speakers, never both at the same time. I've since been told that I can attach some nice splitters to the DAC output, and everything will be fine as long as only 1 amp is on at a time.

I had ruled this out before I posted here because I thought that this would introduce noise in the line. I've had that problem in the past with cheaper systems, but I guess I just need to buy nicer splitters.

As for inputs, my current thoughts are to buy the Musiland MD-10 or the Pacific Valve modded Great March, use my motherboard's USB outputs for a bit during the burn-in period, and then upgrade either my sound card (probably the route I'll take) or get something like the M-Audio transit so I can use the non-USB digital inputs on the DAC.

Please let me know if you see any kinks in the plan! I'd hate to split the output and hear a nasty hiss of background noise.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Well, I already have a total bithead, and it has served me well for a while. I wanted to upgrade to a nicer DAC without an integrated amp so that I can use separate amps for the headphones and speakers (and because I feel like the HD650s need a better amp than the total bithead).

Also, I don't think the total bithead can function as just a DAC. If I used it in the system with another amplifier downstream, I would be amplifying the signal twice, no? I mean, yes, it has two outputs, but they're two amplified outputs. What about the idea of using a splitter on the RCA outputs of a MD-10 or modded Great March?

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zroeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, my sound card is quite outdated and doesn't have digital outputs. Any other ideas?

IF you dont have digital outputs... how are you using a dac... dac... digital-to-analogue converter!?!?

confused.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 11
Get an EMU 0404 USB. You can't switch between headphone and analog outputs but all you need to do is turn down the volume to zero on the output you are not using at the time. I think you will find the EMU 0404 USB far more versatile than any dedicated DAC.

Jul 5, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 11
The Beresford TC7510 has two outputs. I have one connected to my cheapo logitech speakers and the other to the Headfive. Pretty convenient me reckons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back