DAC with preamp
Jan 24, 2007 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

widmerpool

New Head-Fier
Are there any other dacs similar to the Cyrus DAC-XP? I'm looking for something to handle at least 4 sources, two sets of outs, and provide remote volume control for use with active speakers. I have a DAC-X now that I'm quite happy with, but I've been informed rather bizarrely by the importers that it is "against the law" to upgrade it to a DAC-XP in Russia. A smaller form factor would be nice, but not essential.

Is anything like the Linn Exotik-DA, Meridian G61, or Lexicon MC-4 any good in a 90% used for music 2.1 set up?

I know could just get a pre, but as everything goes through the dac I don't need lots of analog connections and I'd like to go one box for space/WAF considerations.

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by widmerpool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any other dacs similar to the Cyrus DAC-XP? I'm looking for something to handle at least 4 sources, two sets of outs, and provide remote volume control for use with active speakers. I have a DAC-X now that I'm quite happy with, but I've been informed rather bizarrely by the importers that it is "against the law" to upgrade it to a DAC-XP in Russia. A smaller form factor would be nice, but not essential.

Is anything like the Linn Exotik-DA, Meridian G61, or Lexicon MC-4 any good in a 90% used for music 2.1 set up?

I know could just get a pre, but as everything goes through the dac I don't need lots of analog connections and I'd like to go one box for space/WAF considerations.

CEC da 53, small
benchmark has one...
apogee minidac etc...(i think there is a version with extended plugability)

Jan 25, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 9
If the inputs are this impotant: maybe the Presonus Central Station - three analog, two digtal inputs, totally passive pre-amp, optional remote control (cable).

Otherwise quite difficult - I have been searching for a suitable DAC/Preamp/Headamp combo for a few month now.
Seems that the big players in the audio market have not yet recognized the steadily growing importance of computer-as-source.

So one has to cope with compromises ...

Now I will most likely get a Lavry DA10 soon - although it has no additional analog inputs (would need only one for a radio) and no RC. But it's supposed to have great SQ and to be quite a bang for the buck - particularly as a package:
Great DAC and preamp plus quite good headamp.

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 9
widmerpool: Hmmmm - how about abusing a surround pre-amp (e.g. Rotel RSP-1068) for your purpose?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 25, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Otherwise quite difficult - I have been searching for a suitable DAC/Preamp/Headamp combo for a few month now.
Seems that the big players in the audio market have not yet recognized the steadily growing importance of computer-as-source.

What is wrong with the E-MU 0404 USB for DAC/Preamp/Headamp combo?

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 9
I completely forgot the Stello, that would probably be just right.

The Bryston only has two inputs, unfortunately.

But is the Rotel (or any AV processor/pre) any good for music? I used to have a Marantz SR8300 and it was rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back