DAC with monitors/headphones + sub hooked up?
Feb 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

noinimod

100+ Head-Fier
i don't know if this is the wrong forum to post this in, but here goes.

1) If my DAC has only 1 set (L+R) of rca inputs, how do i hook it up to both my active monitors and active sub at the same time? I found this post with a method, but i'm not sure if it'll be bad for the sound.

2) I'm going to get the audio gd dac 19 soon and it comes with stock rca + acss inputs, but i'm planning to ask kingwa to change out the acss input for a xlr (i know it's not balanced but it'll be easier since my monitors use xlr), so since there are two inputs (xlr + rca), can they both to feed my monitors and sub at the same time?

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 10
the XLR on your monitor only accepts balanced signal, I wouldn't feed it unbalanced signals.
My connection is as follows:

DacMagic > XLR to XLR cables > Auditor pass-through > XLR to XLR cables > TC Level pilot passive volume controller > subwoofer pass-through > XLR to XLR cables > monitors

All balanced

You should post your monitor model

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 10
dynaudio BM5A. I'm running them through an unbalanced dac for now
ph34r.gif

I know that's not good for them but unfortunately i have no money for a truly balanced dac. I'm not considering the dacmagic

The thing with these monitors is that they have only one xlr connection with nothing else. I have them hooked up to a tc electronics level pilot too
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmm if they only have one input then I guess XLRs on your monitors support unbalanced too. Mine have RCA input for unbalanced signals. What kind of sub are you thinking of getting? Or do you already have one?

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 10
sealed 10" or smaller. I'm not in the USA, so getting a new sub from ID companies like svs/hsu is too much, considering the astronomical shipping. My only option is the used market, where the shipping costs are imo more worth it relative to the sub cost. Anyway i'm going off topic lol

Com'on, someone out there must have the answers!

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 10
Just get a sub that has lineout. Problem solved.

ie: you feed your DAC into the sub, then run RCA from the sub to your speakers/monitors.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 10
Check out the Focusrite Saffire 6, selling for 200 on amazon. Amazing price for what you get, balanced outputs and inputs.

Many studio speakers also accept unbalanced RCA connections, nothing wrong with starting that way, until you can get teh focusrite.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 10
I actually wrote up a review for the Saffire 6 a couple weeks ago in the computer sub forum.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dynaudio BM5A. I'm running them through an unbalanced dac for now
ph34r.gif

I know that's not good for them but unfortunately i have no money for a truly balanced dac. I'm not considering the dacmagic

The thing with these monitors is that they have only one xlr connection with nothing else. I have them hooked up to a tc electronics level pilot too
biggrin.gif

Why not consider a DacMagic? By far the easiest way to do this is to use a Dac with SE and XLR outputs that are active at the same time, and run the monitors off the XLRs and one or two subs off the SE outputs.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 10
I have my DAC with its sole RCA audio-out to an integrated amp's auxiliary in, which is then fed to the sub, then to the speakers. Unless of course your sub has no crossover or line-out, in which case you really cannot do anything about it; you'll either have to get a new DAC with multiple audio-outs, or a sub with a crossover / line-out. You could also buy a pair of RCA splitters and then connect those to the speakers, but in this case, rather than the sub handling only the lower frequencies and the monitors taking the mids/highs, you'd be making all the speakers try playing all the frequencies. Haven't tried that, but it would probably sound less-than-optimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back