DAC with IR volume control? Is a receiver the only good solution?
Mar 11, 2017 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MindsMirror

1000+ Head-Fier
I am trying to figure out what to do with my TV audio. My TV (LG OLEDB6P) has only HDMI or TOSLINK audio output. Currently I'm using my Magni/Modi 2U and LSR305 monitors. The problem is that I cannot control the volume remotely. I am looking for something that can take TOSLINK input, adjust volume with IR remote, and provide an analog output. I know I could get a receiver, but most of the functionality is unnecessary for me so I am hoping there's a more direct solution.

Are there any DACs with IR volume control?

Alternatively, are there any other products such as streaming devices, Blu-ray players, etc. that could do the remote volume control that I need, while providing other features that I might actually use?

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 9
Suboptimal but probably cheapest solution: there are some line level IR remote volume control devices you might be able to insert into the analog path between the Modi and the Magni, or between magni and your speakers. I can't guarantee this would work but for instance: https://www.amazon.com/MCM-CUSTOM-50-8394-CONTROL-REMOTE/dp/B01CX82KH2

In order to control volume on digital side to the Modi it looks like USB is the only option I believe would have to entail using some type of "Media PC" setup instead of your TV as a reciever that supports USB DAC (idk if modi needs specific OS or drivers to work though) - maybe ask on the Modi thread if there are any compatable streaming devices, or maybe something like a Raspberry Pi?

If you don't mind replacing the Modi, per your question there are some DACs with remote control, though a more typical reciever might be the cheaper option. I think Burson Conductor and Conductor Virtuoso, portable and desktop units that come with a remote.Essence HDACC which takes HDMI and the Peachtree DACit might have one too?

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 9
A digital surround sound decoder would work - still a "full size" unit in most cases though. Look at something like the Technics SH-AC500D or SH-AC300 (there's other variations on this from other makers, like the Yamaha DDP-2 or Marantz DP-870, but they tend to be less common). You'd take the digital out from the TV into that box, and then send it out to the amplifier or powered speakers, and it would act as a pre-amp (can do bass management too). With the AC500 it has a bypass as well, so you could send the Schiit's preamp in and control the speakers that way (with bypass engaged) for 2ch. Some of the other units offer bypasses also.

Alternatively you could go for a more modern surround sound processor, like the Outlaw 975 or Emotiva MC-700 which would take HDMI and such.

Alternatively #2 there's some 2ch preamp/DAC units that have remotes, like the Emotiva DC-1 or Onkyo P3000R.

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks to each of you for those suggestions.

I had looked at MCM inline volume control. Do you have any idea if I could program the LG magic remote for the TV to control that?

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks to each of you for those suggestions.

I had looked at MCM inline volume control. Do you have any idea if I could program the LG magic remote for the TV to control that?

I have never owned an LG TV so this is kind of a generic guess: does it have a "learning" feature? If yes you probably can, as long as you get a remote with the MCM device. If not, then probably not. However Harmony remotes are relatively inexpensive and have a huge device library, and a learning feature. Some of the Sony Remote Commander series also offer learning functionality, and may cost a bit less. So either which way the whole "can I have a remote question" can be worked out. :)

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 9
I got the MCM volume control. It does what I need perfectly well. The only minor issue is that I can't manually program the LG magic remote. I don't think it has a learning function. There's a list of manufacturers with pre-programmed remote options, and MCM is not on the list. However I checked all the existing manufacturer options and managed to find one which can lower the volume with the + volume button, and raise the volume with the mute button.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 9
I got the MCM volume control. It does what I need perfectly well. The only minor issue is that I can't manually program the LG magic remote. I don't think it has a learning function. There's a list of manufacturers with pre-programmed remote options, and MCM is not on the list. However I checked all the existing manufacturer options and managed to find one which can lower the volume with the + volume button, and raise the volume with the mute button.

Cool. I have never tried this myself but I wonder if a used phone with an IR blaster function & universal remote app would work for that. I remember some of the old HTC phones like the M8 had them.. No idea if those apps are any good though.

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 9

Very committed to sit and wade through remote codes like that - and neat that you found one that's similar enough to work. :)

@Raketen - yes if you have a device that can learn the desired IR signal and send it back out, it should work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back