DAC with headphone amp solution?
Apr 19, 2008 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kojebee

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I 'think' I need a USB DAC with headphone amp.

I say 'think' because I don't know too much about connecting a computer to a home system. I know a bit about portable mp3s and what headphones I like, but not too knowledgeable about computers as source.

Well, at the moment I have a sound card which is onboard my motherboard, pretty basic stuff. At the moment I connect my computer to my Marantz system, then through to my speakers. The sound is fine, but I'd like to improve the sound if possible, and just as important, improve the sound for headphone listening whilst the missus is watching TV and I've only got the use of the computer.

So, do I need a USB DAC with headphone amp? A DAC with headphone amp?

Any suggestions?

Budget is around $200 including shipping to South Korea. I'd push the budget higher if it's worth it.

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 7
Check out the Beresford TC-7510 V6/Mk3

I have one of these. It does very well for the price.

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out, and see which one may best suit me. I have to factor in availability and shipping costs to South Korea.

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the Beresford TC-7510 V6/Mk3

I have one of these. It does very well for the price.

I went with one of these. $179 including shipping to outside the EU (no VAT).

I ordered it on Sunday evening. It arrived in South Korea on Wednesday morning. Very impressive.

Out of the box, it sounds great. I hope it improves. Just what I was looking for! Thanks for the suggestions!

Listening to electronica via my Ultrasone HFI 700 DVD, and the headphone section isn't too shabby at all.

Now, I'm waiting for new cables.

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went with one of these. $179 including shipping to outside the EU (no VAT).

I ordered it on Sunday evening. It arrived in South Korea on Wednesday morning. Very impressive.

Out of the box, it sounds great. I hope it improves. Just what I was looking for! Thanks for the suggestions!

Listening to electronica via my Ultrasone HFI 700 DVD, and the headphone section isn't too shabby at all.

Now, I'm waiting for new cables.

I don't know why for a solid state unit but I found it sounded better after it warmed up for 30 minutes or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back